Stapling new seat cover - question

Feanor

Aug 10, 2004
Hello all,

I recently bought a Ceet seat cover for the KDX-220; a gripper cover, and I had a question about what others have used in order to drive the staples thru the plastic seat base.

The plastic seat material is fairly dense, and my basic, home use Stanley electric stapler is no match for it... (driving T50 style staples 1/4" long)

No matter how well or solidly I brace the back of the seat to get a good drive on the staples, they barely penetrate the surface.

Will I have to spring for a professional grade pneumatic gun just to get my seat cover on?

Thanks in advance to anyone whose gone thru this already...

Feanor

Moteaux

Professional Mud Tester
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 30, 2001
I have used an electric stapler ($25.00) and I also have an air operated that I use as well. Seem to do better with the electric one as the air one will sometimes drive them too far if i don't get it regulated right.

Jan 16, 2005
I had to use my pnuematic gun, problem was, the shortest staples I could find for mine were 5/8"
and had to be shot on a slight angle so they didn't come back up through the foam.

If you warm the plastic up good it helps a lot, If it was summer I would have just tossed the seat down on the blacktop in the sun, but recently I had to leave in front my propane bullet heater for a few minutes.

Feanor

Aug 10, 2004
Thanks for all the info and suggestions guys! Maybe I'm just hitting the thick part of the plastic, I'm not certain...

I gave it a try again just on the off chance that I was just using the wrong technique in bracing the stapler before firing, but it was still no go. Maybe they changed the seat thickness/material for the 04's :)

At any rate, I'm going to make a trip down to Harbor freight and pick up a 1/2" crown pneumatic stapler... I'm assuming that that will have enough oomph... I have to get a frame nailer anyway and the staplers are fairly cheap... Hopefully I don't mix up the two when I try the seat cover again and fire a 3 1/2" nail into the seat! LoL!

Thanks again all!

Feanor

notenuftoys

Sep 3, 2004
I used a manual T50 stapler, just had to lean hard into it. I just pulled off the old cover, and put the new one on. It's not coming loose after about 4-5 months.

Top Bottom