Ryan314

Feb 4, 2007
I am soooo tired of this! My 97 YZ 125 has a brand new top end and the bike runs absolutely fantastic, no problems when riding whats so ever, never fouls plugs, very crisp, it's perfect. But, every friggen time I go to start the bike up the next day after riding or whenever (overnight, 2 days, week, whatever) it fouls the plug. I always shut the gas off too. It will start up first kick, but after a minute or so, it will bog out and die. I tried shutting the choke off immediatly after start up, but it still bogs out. So I have to change the plug, then it runs great. What is the problem here?!? I just can't see it being a jetting issue because the bike runs absolutely fantastic. I run Yamalube at 40:1 and use a BR7ES plug.

Please help me fix this problem!!! :yell: :yell:

May 9, 2007
When the bike sits, the fuel in the carb evaporates, leving the oil behind. When you go ride again, upon start-up the bike gats a big gulp of oil and fouls the plug. Before you start the bike, turn the petcock on, and lean the bike way over until you see fuel run out of the overflow hose, then start it. This will ensure a float bowl full of fresh fuel instead of a float bowl that is half full of oil.

1LoneRider

Jul 15, 2007
almost had the same problem, with mi rm125, but i tried the BR8ES instead of the stock 9 like you said, and it works fine now, but then again because im such a nut trying to keep mi bike mint, i take the plug out wenever im not riding it and plug in an unused plug until i do go out riding, just so that i'm 100% sure the thng turns on wen i need it most.

Ryan314

Feb 4, 2007
IndyYZ85 said:
BR7 is a bit hot for that bike.. have you tried an 8 or 9?

My bike seems to really like the 7 plug... runs extrememly well on it. 9's always caused problems... and I haven't tried a BR8ES in awhile, I'll probably try it again.

showtime586

Mar 28, 2004
I had a KTM 250sx that did the same thing. I used to buy plugs by the case. It actually turned out to be a slide problem from the manufacturer.

Ryan314

Feb 4, 2007
Well I just tried tipping the bike over before starting it... didn't help. It started up fine and idled for about a minute or so, then bogged out.

1989kx250

Mar 17, 2006
do you let it just idle to warm up?? if so, 2-stroke race bikes aren't really meant to idle for very long. try starting it up and riding it easy to warm it up.

sixds

Mar 25, 2007
are you letting it warm up properly or just getting on it and going? let it warm up until you can feel heat on the top of the radiator cap then go.

Ryan314

Feb 4, 2007
sixds said:
are you letting it warm up properly or just getting on it and going? let it warm up until you can feel heat on the top of the radiator cap then go.

It'll start up fine, and I'll blip the throttle every now and then while it's warming up... but then, you'll blip it and it will just bog out... ughh

Jun 5, 2006
i know u said it's not a jetting problem, but it really sounds like it. a 7 plug is too hot for that bike, go with an 8. Then you should really be running ur yamalube at 32:1. after that, i would try rejetting.

Ryan314

Feb 4, 2007
I tried a BR8ES plug yesterday, worked awesome, so I'll use those now.

Still having the start up problem though... god this sucks.

Top Bottom