starter doesnt engage when cold!!

kdxrox

Jun 4, 2010
Hi guys
Im having a bit of trouble here, when i go to start the bike, the kickstart travels without any resistance when cold, sometimes it engages but you have to pump it quite a few times to get some resistance :whoa:
The bike starts first time every time when warm & runs great, i have not long put the bike together & it has had a full service.
Im thinking wrong grade of oil i think i used 10/30, cant remember, i this the right grade? or is there a spring in the kickstart that could be defective.
Help please as it is starting to piss me off. :pissed:

Dirtdame

Apr 10, 2010
You can't get into too much trouble by having the wrong grade of oil. Thick gear oil can make your clutch drag or your shifting kind of stiff. You might have some part in the kickstarter ramp starting to wear out. The ramp should be pushing the engagement gear out to interface with the gear that spins the idler gear. Make sure that all the teeth are okay on that gear (on the kickstarter shaft) and the one that it interfaces with, and the idler gear. You can check it by removing the side cover, then reinstall the kickstarter and push it with your hand to see what's going on.

Last edited:

reepicheep

Apr 3, 2009
There are about 4 little pieces in there that all have to be lined up right for it to work well, and at least one of them is forever trying to spring out of place on assembly, so it may have just been put together wrong as well.

I touched up the teeth on mine with a file and some sandpaper on a flat surface, and made it a LOT better.

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
there is something not lined up right, if I recall the assembly looks like you need to push the spring back tightly towards the rear but if you do this and put the outer cover on it will bind, leave it loosey goosey except for the spring horn positioned correctly into the case

kdxrox

Jun 4, 2010
Cheers for the info guys, i guess i will need to drain the oil,water & get some more gaskets, Then have a good look into it. :cool:

reepicheep

Apr 3, 2009
FWIW, the first time I had that thing off after I bought the bike (basically in a bucket) I did have to put on a new gasket. But during the restore, I had that off 4 or 5 times, and that new gasket worked fine reusing it. I did one more "new gasket" when I believed I was done fussing with it, but just for peace of mind, it wasn't leaking.

So you might get away without a new gasket if you want to roll the dice.

Top Bottom