deagle

May 21, 2001
My buddy just got his first 4-stroke and is having problems starting it. I have a klx300 and know how important the starting ritual has to be. He does not have a access to the internet so could someone reply with the accepted procedure for starting a 2001 yz250f? No mods that I know of other than a pipe.

http://www.mtdr.net

OldMaiconut

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 28, 2001
I have a 426, but the drill is the same:
If the bike is cold

Turn on gas
pull on choke
twist throttle two times , DO NOT TOUCH THROTTLE AGAIN!!
put foot on kicker and push until you come up against compression
pull compression release and move kicker about an inch
release compression release and return kicker to top of stroke and give it a SERIOUS kick

Should fire right up

If hot(like after a stall)
DO NOT TOUCH THROTTLE
Pull hot start
follow same procedure as above

If warmed up... try the same procedure without the hot start, most of the time mine fires right up.

It sounds complicated, but once you are used to it, it is second nature and takes much less time to do than it does to explain how to do it. All the trouble is worth it because these bikes rip!

:aj:

scar tissue

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 27, 2000
If you bike doesn't fire with the normal procedure, Do it again and right before your attempted start kiick give it one squirt of gas if hot and two if the engine is cold. Mine then fires right up. It turns out my fuel screw was only .05 turns out from the factory. and at that setting my bike fired 100% on the time with the above procedure. Once I dialed it in, I went 2 turns out. it started with the normal procedure with no throttle.

F-Pilot

Jun 2, 2001
I just got an '02 YZ 250F and have 3 friends that have '01's. So far they are all way to rich on the choke circuit. In other words, don't use the choke. They flood very easy when cold so if you have kicked it 5-6 times with no luck pull the hot start out and clear the motor with about 10-20 kicks.
All will fire with no choke, no throttle but will sputter and die. We have found that if you can kick it (per drill) and reach down and pull the choke knob half way out and hold it before it dies it will high idle and warm up fine. We have even held each others knob (Jeez, that sounds sick) while kicking and they start fine like that.
I need to figure out which jets control the start/choke circuit and lean them out. Anybody know how to do this?
I have also found my stock fuel screw settings to be about 1/2 turn too rich. It starts easier when warmed up now that I leaned the screw out.

Btw, I had a 400 and a 426 before this and they both liked the 2 twist/choke drill.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom