derekb_55

Feb 8, 2001
My family and I are interested in starting a dirt bike business. I can bet there are many people out there who have a business or know someone that does. So I'm looking for any and all or your tips or info. Where do you buy you stuff from to sell to people etc. We have registered the business and are wondering how to go about getting started.

Thanks,
Derek

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
What exactly is the business's function? Repairs, sales of bikes? Hardware? Performance tuning? .......?

derekb_55

Feb 8, 2001
We are looking mostly at selling parts and apparal and depending on how it goes maybe moving into selling bike and fixing them.

marcv125

Oct 29, 2001
Well i work at a package store, yes i am 17 and work at a package store, but my aunt owns it so it is legal for me to work there, but anyways i am learning a lot about owning a buisness. First of all be prepared to work a lot of hours. She is down there 60 hours a week. I am only down there for 30 a week and i think this is a lot.

2) dealing with the public. It may be worse in a package store but you have to deal with people in a respectable manner. Yes once in a while you will have an ignorant customer,that will just argue and argue about something and wont stop, but what she taught me is to stay calm and just talk to him/her in a calm manner.

3) now to the buisness part. IMHO she sells her goods at a very low cost. She sells beer at legal minimum which pretty much means she is making nothing on beer. She says she is only making 5 cents on each case. But where she makes all of her money is on wines and more expensive things. If you sell something that is very popular for cheap you will have a lot of customers, which means more people will be in your store to shop around. You need to take away business from your competition so low prices will do this.

4) She gets all of her things from the actual company. I think this is the way to go with anything. Lets say pre-mix. If you buy a lot of pre-mix at a time lets say from Maxima. they will most likely give you invoice price. So then you take the invoice price and make it whatever you want but you wont want to raise it that much. You know what i mean. I would say buy all of your products from the actual company. I think this would be your best bet.

5)Getting started: Well it was actually my uncles store but he recently passed awat so i am really not sure how he started out the buisiness. Sorry. I am going to college to figure this part out.

6)Presentable store: We always make sure the store looks presentable and clean. There is nothing worse IMHO than walking into a dirty store. I hate this. If you want people to keep coming back havea nice store.

7) Make sure you have trust worthy help. If it a family owned buisiness you wont have to worry. But if it is not who knows what they can be doing behind your back. That is mostly why my aunt stays at the store so much. She really doesnt trust the help all that much.

8) Have fun: Owning a buisiness should be a fun experiance. Make money and have fun man!!

Hey i am only 17 but am learning a lot fast about owning a business. Someone else might have a lot better info but this is the best i can do . Hope this helps.
Marc

DAVE C

Dec 21, 2001
Determine your TARGET MARKET and do whatever you have to do to satisfy them. This is a problem with the shops in my area. They market themselves to racers and those willing to spend a lot of money with their large showroom and fancy advertisements, but they NEVER have what we want!!! For God's sake, you can't sell something if you don't have it. For example, they are a Kawi and a Suzuki dealer. I have yet to see a KX on the floor. I could go on and on about this. Just make sure you are satisfying your target market!

txvintage

Sponsoring Member
Apr 20, 2001
I would imagine you would need to establish accounts with what vendors sell direct B2B such as clothing distributors and also with someone such as Parts Unlimited/Parts Canada for more widespread parts and accessories.

Do a web search for motorcycle parts and accessory wholesalers.

Danman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 7, 2000
Our Kawi/suzuki dear never has anything I need. I usualy only go in there if I need an OEM part. I always expect to wait 5 to 9 business days. They did not even carry jets for my carb. Its a pretty standard part. They don't have any new KXs on the floor, but have a few zukes out there. I hear this is a common complaint from Suzuki owners.

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
Originally posted by DAVE C
For example, they are a Kawi and a Suzuki dealer. I have yet to see a KX on the floor.

that sort of thing dumbfounds me. the shop i deal with is a honda/ktm/cannondale dealer and they always have bikes of every size and make on the floor. at one time last year, they had 17 '01 cr 250's. as far as parts go, they probably have about 90% of the items that i purchase in stock. these are the reasons i stay with them.

soquel

Mar 19, 2002
The key to to gettin your shop to stock what you want is to get to know your parts guys and the stock lady. I'm friends with all the people at my local shop, and they ask me what I think they should to stock in the shop. Hey they even had me come in and meet the fox rep.! And give you parts people a break they work really hard, and it impossible to keep up with all the new parts for new bikes, let alone old bikes.

marcv125

Oct 29, 2001
Our Kawi/suzuki dear never has anything I need. I usualy only go in there if I need an OEM part. I always expect to wait 5 to 9 business days. They did not even carry jets for my carb. Its a pretty standard part. They don't have any new KXs on the floor, but have a few zukes out there. I hear this is a common complaint from Suzuki owners.

I hear ya about the dealerships. They usually dont have the OEM parts i need and expect to wait like you said 5-9 business days. But for him starting his own business he will not be supplying OEM parts, he will be selling aftermarket parts. I would keep the most basic things in stock and then order more "extravagant" (spelling?) parts IE:pipes silencers things like that. Parts i would keep in stock would be grips, boots, goggles, pants , jerseys, stickers (everyone wants stickers, tires and oils. I can probably think of a lot more but those are the basics. Good luck man.
Marc

MX823

Nov 8, 2001
You will basically have to fill out an application to apply to be a distributor, from Parts Unlimited, Tucker rocky, White Bros, FOX, etc. etc. Sometimes a picture is needed as well as proof of $$$ in liquid assets.

If you are looking from a sevice side, or to be part of a franchise, ie suspension, [you know the companies]

Stocking parts is tough , you are never going to satisfy everyone, Depending on the rider make up in your area, are most of the bikes newer, older, etc.

You can get hooked up with a local OEM dealer, and buy your OEM parts through them.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom