Starting in 1st gear

Slugblaster

Apr 8, 2004
My sons KDX200 won't roll or start in 1st or 2nd gear with the clutch pulled in. Is this right or is there a problem?

kx200

Feb 1, 2001
what year is your bike and how many miles are on it what kind of oil need more info?

rlbranson

Dec 24, 2003
this is a problem with the oil bath clutch most bikes use. especially when cold there is so much drag when the clutch is pulled in that it is hard to start the motor. If you really want to start the bike in gear use 5w 30 synthetic oil, adjust the clutchl lever with little free play, and kick the kicker harder then you do when it is in neutral. my 200 will start in gear but I have to kick it harder than if it is in neutral.

bob

andrew

Aug 7, 1999
I find that a bit more throttle when kicking helps it to start easier in gear. And, it's always easier to start in gear when it's hot!

Quailchaser

Jan 30, 2004
Slugblaster said:
My sons KDX200 won't roll or start in 1st or 2nd gear with the clutch pulled in. Is this right or is there a problem?

On the rolling part: As rlbranson said--the oil bath clutch has enough drag without the centrifical force of the engine runnig to keep the bike from rolling in gear. It will feel like the clutch is not disengaged. Once the bike is running it will roll.

As for starting: Does the bike want to roll when you kick it over in gear with the clutch pulled? If so, there is a problem in the clutch system. If it doesn't roll and won't start, that is not necessarily a problem. They are harder to start in gear. Almost impossible when cold. Once warmed up, it should start in gear with a little roll on the throttle while kicking. Once you figure out where your KDX likes the throttle open too while kicking (don't hold the throttle, twist while kicking), it should fire everytime. Mine likes to be twisted to about 1/2 throttle as I kick. Fires on first or second kick. Although, I've had a lot of practice. I tend to stall at the most inoportune times.

Later
Robb

xTYBALTx

Mar 10, 2004
After learning to ride on a four stroke, kick-starting my KDX in gear - cold, hot, whatever - hasn't been much of a problem.

I was wondering about it not rolling in gear with clutch lever pulled in, thanks for answering that.

Any suggestions on a good clutch / tranny oil to use? Does it matter? Change it annually?

Quailchaser

Jan 30, 2004
xTYBALTx said:
Any suggestions on a good clutch / tranny oil to use? Does it matter? Change it annually?

As for the type of oil I've been running: John Deere Tractor Hy-Gard wet clutch/transmission oil. Oil can get pricey when you change it often. I was told about this oil by a couple of CR500AF riders (they've been using it for years) who ride about 90 miles a week in nasty hot Arizona desert singletrack.

Opinions on tranny oil will vary with riders preferance. IMHO what you use (as long as its a quality oil) is less important that how often you change it. I change mine after every 3 or 4 rides depending on the severity of the rides. Sometimes after only 2 rides.

Later
Robb

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…