Starting-Launching the Big Fourstroke?

B

biglou

I've read about this, but just can't bring myself to do it. With the 426 in gear, clutch in, sitting at the line, should I hold the throttle WFO just seconds before the gate drops and let the rev limiter take over and then feed the clutch? I am somewhat apprehensive about all that power that's about to be unleashed. Does anyone else do this? Billy? I figure you're the man with the four-stroke launching experience.

Currently, I start in second gear, (I have to, or I wouldn't even be in the same pack as everyone else) 14-51 gearing, hold the revs up a little, let the clutch out to put the bike "in tension" and hold the front brake. Right foot on the ground, left foot on the peg. When the gate drops, I drop the front brake and feed the clutch as I roll the throttle on. I am wondering that if I am banging the rev limiter that as soon as I feed the clutch, the RPM's will drop back into the 11,000+ range and throw my fat butt off the back in a violent loopout. I am also figuring that I can't put the bike "in tension" with the front brake as this would bring the rev's down below the limiter.

Anyone have any experience with this? Keep in mind, I am racing the 250 beginner class in MX. I know I won't win, but a holeshot once in my lifetime would be kinda cool if someone was there to see it! I also figure I could freak out my friends when we do starts when they hear that "Gagagagagagggagagagga" rev limiter kick in when we are just grudge racing! (I can already beat the vast majority of my riding buds to the first turn, but I am mid-pack at best during a race)

Thanks for any advice! :)
Lou.

Glitch

~SPONSOR~
Dec 3, 2001
I think that as long as you release the clutch fast enough to create wheelspin in the beginning, then you wont loop out. I know that riding a 125 is alot different than a 426 put if I dont hold the throttle WFO when I'm letting the clutch out in second on starts; my rear wheel gets too much traction and I have to pull the clutch back in to prevent looping out. But when I hold it WFO, then the wheel spins fast enough to get me going, the tire then get traction fast as I start moving forward and I take off, with out looping out.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
The late great road racer Randy Renfrow was well know for his ability to launch harder than most. He firmly believed that we aren't coordinated enough to feed the clutch and roll on the throttle at the same time while trying to fight to the first turn. His advice was to hold the rpm steady somewhere below the redline and feed the clutch to control forward motion. Keep the throttle at the same point and bang the next gear when appropriate.
His advice has served me well over the years. :D

JPIVEY

Sponsoring Member<br>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 9, 2001
Hey Lou, another thing to try is, with your right foot on the ground,hang left foot over/in front of the peg, this helps you put more of your weight over the front; After you launch and settle in, Hit third with your heel on your way up to a simi-standing postion, it works good for me at the bomb starts, which are dead engine, as you know.

Last edited:
B

biglou

I think about that heel shifting a lot, but have never quite managed to try it. I remember reading about hanging your feet out front to keep the front wheel down. The big variable in all of this is that when I practice, I don't actually have a gate drop. Once you're lined up for a real race moto, there are a whole other set of nerves going on. I figure I'll have to practice enough with the new method to get used to it. I'll take some video and post it in a week or so and have you guys critique me. (Please, be gentle :D)

Rich-Any problems with holding the 426 on the rev limiter repeatedly for 3-5 seconds at a time? If this is considered severe, I probably won't do it. Not worth it for me just to practice holeshotting the beginner class!

BillyWho

Sir-Breaks-Alot
Mar 22, 2001
I personally have never known anybody to hold it to the rev limitor with the cluch in on the start. We have mostly cemment starts around here, and that would never work on cemment. I have ALWAYS done 1/8 to 1/4 throttle and roll it on aggresively untill the rear wheel clears the gate and then it's wide open from there clicking through the gears slipping the clutch only if needed to keep the front end down until you hit fourth, and if you need to slip the clutch in fourth, your bike is way to fast Mister LOL. If I lined up next to someone and they held it on the rev limitor waiting for the gate to drop, I think they would have a nice red bulls eye on their back ( if they get there first) for me to aim at in the first turn :) , but seriously, just practice the proper way like you already know how, you don't need a gate either, just a flat surface that is similar to the dirt behind the gate. We'll go over starts at DW also, we'll have Thump do the rev limitor trick next to me so I can do the bulls eye trick on him in the first turn LOL :aj:

Glitch, your right about 125s, that's a different story, you have to use the throttle a lot more and slip the clutch to keep the rpm's in the right range so you don't bog.

B

biglou

Thanks, mister. Your name came up when I mentioned this thread to Blue Thunder! :D When I do practice starts, I like to line up behind the gate (it's down) so I get the practice of getting over it. This seems to throw off some of the local competition that don't race. Bonus for me!

So, Billy, you gonna holeshot Dubach at DW or what? :p

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Originally posted by BigLou
Rich-Any problems with holding the 426 on the rev limiter repeatedly for 3-5 seconds at a time? If this is considered severe, I probably won't do it.

Lou - When you look at where the torque peak of the 426 is in relation to the rev limiter bouncing it off the limiter at the start is just silly and it isn't going to provide the maximum drive.

B

biglou

Duly noted. To be honest, I don't think I have the cajones to to try that anyway. Not looking to kill myself just for a mid-pack finish in the beginner class, either. :o

I'lll stick to what I kow-the method that Buster described.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
BigLou.

Another little trick you might try. Don't look directly at the starting gate. Look into the first corner to where you want to be when the gate drops.

Watch the gate with your peripheral vision. When you sense any movement, go.

When you look directly at the gate, it takes your mind a split second to register the fact that the gate has dropped. Watching the gate with your peripheral vision will trick your mind and allow you to react faster than if you are looking directly at it. This same trick works with a flagger also.

Also, with the four stroke, try short shifting. Instead of letting it rev out in each gear, shift a little sooner. The modern four strokes pull strong from down low and get better traction at a lower rpm. Of course it depends a lot on the surface conditions of the track.

Just my $ .02

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
The only worry I have about that technique is that I might launch on some movement I catch out of the crner of my eye that isn't the gate.

I'm going to try it and blame you profusely if I get hung in the gate! :o

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Originally posted by High Lord Gomer
The only worry I have about that technique is that I might launch on some movement I catch out of the crner of my eye that isn't the gate.

I'm going to try it and blame you profusely if I get hung in the gate! :o

That's ok Gomer, I'll take the blame. :thumb:

Try it, it really works. Chances are, you will get hung up in the gate a few times while learning to perfect this proceedure, but once you do, you will be suprised how well it works. ;)

Top Bottom