Starting on one kick...

b-b00gie

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 16, 2002
I hear people say (or read it here on the forums) that their bike starts up on the first kick everytime. Well, I'm jealous...

When I do a cold start it always takes me 5 kicks or so. On a warm start it will take 1 or 2 kicks.

I've heard some people mention that they turn their gas off when done riding and then back on before the next ride. I've never done this.

Maybe its just my technique? I've heard some people say to give it a little throttle while kicking? Will this flood it?

Should I be using the choke on a cold start? I never have, I just usually kick it 5 times or so till it fires up...

I want single kick starts!! :) Help!

b-b00gie

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 16, 2002
Throttle is very strong all the way around. I dont think its a mechanical thing... I think it's just my starting technique.

So should I be choking it on every cold start? I usually ride every 1 or 2 weeks, so the bike goes up to two weeks of just sitting there.

Last edited:

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Mine starts in 1 to 3 kicks when cold and first kick when warm. I use the choke for all cold starts and no choke and some throttle when warm. I also turn the gas off when ever I stop but I don't think it makes much difference because it still starts good when I forget and leave the gas on.

Make sure evrything is up to snuff before you get crazy with starting techniques. Bad reeds or low compression make a whole lot more difference in starting ease than anything else.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
If it floods whent he gas is left on then you better check the float valve. It's probably not sealing and letting gas get through.

b-b00gie

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 16, 2002
Well I tried it yesterday with the choke on and it started in 2 kicks, so I guess if I just learn to kick a little stronger and smoother I'll get the one kick start.

jmics19067

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
good compression, good reeds on a two stroke ,valves in a four troke, proper timing, and good carberation.

good compression, if the rings are sealing well, everytime the piston draws its air from the carb it will have a better signal inside the carb compared to worn.

good reeds/valves, everytime the piston changes direction inside the engine you are trying to force the air backwards thru the carb.

good timing, if the timing is too far advanced the combustion chamber is trying to light before the piston is close enough to top dead center at kicking speed. Engine is going to try and run backwards, backfiring, sore ankle.

good carberation, float level, needle and seat, pilot jet size and choke working well.

two strokes,try this when cold, turn fuel on, choke on , no throttle, gently kick thru the starter 2,3 times and then give a good kick, possibley a small blip of the throttle as it catches. If you are giving quite a bit of throttle at starting you are lessening the effect the choke knob has in your carb. If this technique makes your bike start up easily the cylinder is out of fuel/ air and you are just priming the system.Not going to get much better than this. If the idea of starting first kick is still bothering you turn fuel on, choke knob up, lean bike over till fuel dribbles out of overflow hoses, put it in a higher gear and rock the bike a little, go back in nuetral, then kick, but you are doing he same thing as gently kicking thru those easy 2,3 times as stated before.

four strokes when cold ,fuel on, choke up, a twist of the throttle before you start kicking, 2,3 kicks to find topdead center, just slightly inch past top dead center, let kickstarter come all the way back up, hand completely off throttle,then kick.
If the bikes starts easier cold then warm , possibly the jetting is too rich.

I don't believe every bike out there starts "first kick" I just think noone counts the " preparation" before they really put their foot into it.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…