DR. DOOM

Jan 9, 2001
Finally picked up my WR.
had the guy at the dealer show me the starting tech.
He had all kinds of problems.
I had the same. Another guy seemed to be able to start it a couple
of times.They assured me that it would start easier after ridden awhile.
I had the same problems when I got it home.
This thing can't be that hard to start!
I'm following the drill, but not alot of success.
Is there something I'm missing or maybe something is not adjusted right?
All help sincerely appreciated!

LawManNv

Sponsoring Member
Feb 10, 2000
My WR was hard to start at first but it became much easier as I put some time on it. I have found that the air screw can make a major difference in starting ease. Try adjusting it 1/4 turn at a time and see if that helps. The WR seems to be very sensitive to jetting and I am still working on finding the right combo. I also turned the idle speed up a bit at first which helped a little. Good luck and stick with it cause it does get easier.

cw242

May 17, 2000
sucks to have a new bike and cant even start it!!! i had the same problem, yes it will get easier, here is what i have found to work for me. first off if its cold choke on no throttle,, kickstand down, stand on the pegs ,, hold your foot about 2" above the kicker and just pop the crap out of it!!! unlike a two stroke the force needs to be on the top of the stroke,, sounds dangerous and possibly is but it works for me every time... after a stall or a fall pull the hot start, use the same technique but i dont use the kickstand ( yes it is a little awkward at first) if it doesnt start after two kicks pull the decomp lever kick it over 5-8 times and pop it 1 or 2 times,, it will fire..... hope this helps,, i thought maybe i had bought the wrong bike for me at first until i figured this out!!! it will get easier as you learn what she likes and doesnt like!!!! cw

Traildale1

Apr 22, 2000
My WR250F experience
Day 1: 100 kicks and no start
Day 2: 100 more kicks and still no start
Day 3: 100 more kicks and still no start, but my right leg is getting much stronger, though I'm beginning to walk in circles to the left.
A week later, and I break down and bring the bike back to the dealer. The one mechanic that got it started initially, takes about 40 kicks but does get it lit, after setting the idle speed screw for a faster idle. The strange thing is that it starts in 25 degree weather, stone cold, with the hot start button out and the choke in! Go figure.
Once I get the bike home, I get it down to a 12-kick drill.
After the first real trail ride, I fiddle with the idle speed and I'm down to a 5-kick drill.
After the third trail ride it's starting first kick every time, hot or cold.
Though I would never have believed it two months ago, the WR now starts as easily as my two-smoke, sometimes easier.
You'll get there. Just a few miles and a little practice.

Another way to look at it is like the WR is your new girlfriend/wife. It takes a while to learn what she really likes and how to "ring her bell", but once you learn the technique, it's definately worth it. Each woman (I mean WR) is different, and you have to get to know her first. ;)

holeshot

Crazy Russian
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 25, 2000
playing hard to get started

I never was one for long courtships........

cw242

May 17, 2000
today at the enduro sign up i had a guy show me the proper technique,, find top dead center (kicker is very stiff youll know it) while your foot is still applying pressure to the kicker pull the dcomp lever in and and push it down 2 inches, imeddiately let it up and just push the kicker down, no excessive force is needed just swiftly push it through....it really helps to have someone show you this as reading it 100 times before never helped me any!!! :cool:

DR. DOOM

Jan 9, 2001
LawManNV
The air screw you are talking about, is it the 1 recessed at the bottom of the carb?I have that 1 set at 1 3/4 turns out. If that is not the right screw, what should that 1 be set at and which 1 is the air screw? What is a good starting point for that screw?
My dealer seems to know less about this bike, than what I've been reading at this site.
I can get it to fire up, but not on a consistant basis.
Thanks again to all!

Pumpkinhead

Mar 6, 2001
Originally posted by cw242
first off if its cold choke on no throttle,, kickstand down, stand on the pegs ,, hold your foot about 2" above the kicker and just pop the crap out of it!!! unlike a two stroke the force needs to be on the top of the stroke,, sounds dangerous and possibly is but it works for me every time... after a stall or a fall pull the hot start, use the same technique but i dont use the kickstand ( yes it is a little awkward at first) if it doesnt start after two kicks pull the decomp lever kick it over 5-8 times and pop it 1 or 2 times,, it will fire.....

Starting the bike with the stand down is going to get you hurt. You will have more power in your kick if you are standing up. The key to starting most any four-stroke is to kick heavily all the way through to the bottom of the stroke. Popping it down quickly like a 2-smoke will just tire you out. The emphasis on your kick should be towards the bottom of the stroke not the top.

1) If it's cold out use the choke.
2) Let the kick-starter rise to the top,pull in the decompress lever and slowly
push down on the kick-start approx 2 inches until you feel a soft spot.
3) Release the decomp lever and let the kickstart rise back to the top.
4) Kick down forcefully putting the emphasis of your kick towards the bottom of the stroke.

It should fire after a few kicks using this method. If it doesn't then pull in the decomp lever and kick all the way through 5-8 times to clear out the plug. Then re-try the method above. It was the only way to consistently start my XR-400.

BTW- when the bike is hot or if you drop it...you will most likely need to pull in the decomp lever and kick it through 5-8 times before it will fire. :)

Not trying to flame you cw242, but you had it a litlle backwards.:think

spwr400f

May 20, 2001
4 stroke starting technique

Pumpkinhead has the process down.

You may want to pull in the compression release and kick it through a couple of times before you start the above procedure.

When you stall or drop it.

Pull in the compression release and run it through a dozen times. Then pull the red hot start button and start the above procedure again.

Keep in mind it will get easier as the motor is broken in. Everything is really tight right now.

weimedog

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Nov 21, 2000
Couldn't say it. Tried to delete this post...:p

Last edited:

cw242

May 17, 2000
punkinhead, no flame taken ,,, im only stating what works for me 100% of the time,, maybe its just me, im not saying its the right way only that it works, (ITS IMPOSSIBLE TO USE A SIDESTAND DURING A ENDURO IN FLORIDA SAND!!)it works without it just as well......cw

DR. DOOM

Jan 9, 2001
Well Guys, I got it!
Was starting to get alittle worried that not owning a bike for almost 20 years, maybe this was a mistake.
But if you take your time, don't stand on the sidestand(like the showed me)
No gas, set the idle alittle high(turn in 2 times) take your time and kick thru, until you find the compression stroke, pull in comp. release and press down real slow(about 2") Bring back to top, No throttle and kick all the way through, it seems to start right up. If it doesn't start in 2-3 kicks, pull in comp.
rel. kick 5-8 times. Take your time and start again.
it seems so simple now!
About the ride it all came right back, if I get some time, I'll post a ride report.
One thing though, on the trail back to the house a woodcock flew up in front of my headlite, while I was putting along in 2nd. Reached out and grabbed the thing, he made a real mess of my new gear, but is was amusing to show Susan when I got back.
Thanks for all the tips and I'm sure I'll be posting more as I get further back into riding again.

paula

Jan 9, 2001
If the bike is cold try twisting the throttle once or twice then do the start drill. It works for our two WR's. But only like the first time each day.

Top Bottom