Jonala

~SPONSOR~
Sep 20, 2000
I'm restoring a 74' Honda MR 50. It now has a new piston, cleaned carb, and crankseals. The bike had been stored for 25 years, after it seized its piston.

The problem is the bike will start when stone cold, and run for about a minute. Then it dies and can't be restarted. I'm certain it is an electrical problem because there is no spark after the engine dies.

The bike uses a AC alternator that sends power thru a half wave recitifer, then into the coil.

The resistance measurements are a little off in both the alternator and coil.

I did a bench tested the coil, and found that the coil would not produce a spark until it got 1.3 volts. The coil then produced a weak spark. At 3 volts it would produce a strong spark.

I put a voltmeter in parallel with the coil to watch the coil input voltage. When I managed to get it to start the coil was getting .9 - 2.5 volts depending on rpm. The spark just died.

When measuring the resistance of the coil and alternator after it died I found no change.

When I bench tested the coil I let it run for 15 minutes at 3000 sparks / min without it shutting down.

I'm I missing something? I'm thinking there is something wrong with the coil despite the bench test.

Thanks for any help.

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
Any luck with it yet?

Jonala

~SPONSOR~
Sep 20, 2000
After posting the question I have taken the carb apart at least six times. Rechecked all my electrical measurements.

This afternoon I got it to idle. I'm now more inclined to think the problem is with the carb. When I got this bike the carb had a very thick layer of curd in all the passages, and jets. The slide was actually stuck because the top of the carb had been removed. The bike had been sitting around like that for at least 20 years.

Despite the multiple cleanings I think I'm still missing some passage that is not operating properly.

My basic problem is that I can't trust any of the components, because I don't know how the was running before it seized its piston.

Thanks for asking. I'll get this bike running even if I have to get a new carb. :think:

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
I wish I had something like that to toy around with. Guess I'll have to keep my eyes open.

Jonala

~SPONSOR~
Sep 20, 2000
This has been a fun project. I'm keeping costs down my only replacing items that are either broken, or missing. Everything else has been bead blasted, sanded, bored, polished, scrubbed, then painted to cover the all the old rust damage.

This bike was a rusted mess when I got it. For example I had to pry off the chain off the sprockets because it was rusted solid around the sprockets.

If you find a project bike, stay away from bikes that are literally basket cases.
The grief never ends. I've been very lucky to find a Yahoo group that is dedicated to the MR 50. They have helped me out a lot. But we had run out of ideas for my particular problem. That's why I posted here in the brain trust know as DRN.

Imho

Sponsoring Member
Mar 6, 2002
I'm sure you've already thought of this but ... a friend of mine had the same symptoms that turned out to be rust in fuel filter at the fuel tap. It would let enough fuel through over time to fill the float bowl but not enough to keep it running once the fuel in the bowl was used.

Jonala

~SPONSOR~
Sep 20, 2000
Imho,
Thanks for the idea, I have not checked the tank fuel filter. I put a inline filter because of all the rust coming out of the tank.

I will check it tomorrow. The bowl is full when the engine stops running is the reason I haven't checked the tank filter. I even tried taking the gas cap off to see if it would help. It didn't help.

I'm taking the carb into work tomorrow. I'm going to test the carb by setting up a regulated low pressure box to simulate engine vacuum, and watch what is actually going on.

I'm going to use a graduated syringe to mimic the gas tank.

I had to check it out, went back out to shop to check the tank filter. The filter had a bunch of gunk all over it. Clean the filter, inspected the petcock, put the carb back on.

No change, it still dies. :ugg:

Last edited:

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
Why not just run a fuel line from an auxillary tank and bypass the the oem tank. That should eliminate that

Jonala

~SPONSOR~
Sep 20, 2000
I wish I had a spare carb, coil, and recitifier. This shouldn't be this hard to figure out. :confused:

placelast

Apr 11, 2001
After the minute or so of idle and it begins to die, does activating the choke make a difference? If so, then the problem is fuel starvation, and stems from blockage in the delivery system.

Jonala

~SPONSOR~
Sep 20, 2000
Yes, if I choke it, the motor recovers for a few seconds. What I'm wondering is that the motor requires a rich mixture to operate because I have a weak spark.

When I tested the coil on the bench the spark was very weak at idle speed voltage.

Imho

Sponsoring Member
Mar 6, 2002
Based on the fact the float bowl is full when it stops, it's probably not a fuel delivery problem, although the system sounds like it needs to be cleaned out.

I think both too lean and too rich would not be good with a weak spark. If the spark is weak at or near idle, does it keep running if you keep the revs up?

My first thoughts when I read your post was that the stator or coil were shorting or going open circuit as they heated up. After it has died, do you get any voltage at the coil input when you kick it over or try to bump start it?

Jonala

~SPONSOR~
Sep 20, 2000
I'm reluctant to keep the motor rev'd, because this a new piston and bore.
That said if I keep it rev'd up it does run better, but as soon as I let the revs drop it starts to bog then dies.

I see I didn't post that the spec resistance for the input side of the coil is .4-.5 ohms. My measurement was 1.1 - 1.2 ohms, which is 100% out of spec.

The pickup coil in the Alternator resistance is suppose to be 1.4-1.5 ohms.
Measurements = 1.1 - 1.2 ohms.

The readings at both ends of the circuit are out of spec. At $70 a try for either component, is the reason I'm trying to really make my best guess the right guess.

Jonala

~SPONSOR~
Sep 20, 2000
It actually idles. It's slow reving, not sure if that is the way the
bike is or it needs a coil.

As always it turns out to be something that I just kept either
thinking I had already checked or just thought it couldn't be that.

Turns out the major culprit was a passage that was still blocked. I
took home a air nozzle that had a rubber tip. Put the nozzle over
this brass tube that extends down into the float bowl. Blew air and
nothing. Looking at the casting I saw that this tube had something
to do with the air delivery.

Took the carb into work this morning. Using some micro size drills I
was able to break thru the crud that
had accumlated in the top of the tube.

GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
Cool John!! I didn't know you had a project bike, where did you come across it and when do we get to see it?

Nat

Jonala

~SPONSOR~
Sep 20, 2000
It was my brother's project bike, along with x others that he has. We want to get our computer nut nephew outside. I have lots of spare time, so I took on the project. You'll probably not see it until I get my nephew good enough to ride Clear Creek, with 3 hp, drum brakes, 3" of suspension.

Pictures are at: http--photos.yahoo.com-jonalaca I should a couple more up tonight.

Dirtman500

Jan 8, 2004
Remove all jets from carb and look through them! Sometimes you will need to run a small wire through all jets and passages to clear holes. Also check your float level and make sure you have no air leaks at intake side where carb mounts! Normally I have found a dirty main jet will cause engine to stall within about 10-20 seconds after starting. Use compressed air to clean out all passages and jets in carb. After you have ruled out the carb I would consider purchasing a new ign. coil. You could have a slight open in coil that doesn't show up untill temp rise in coil windings. Did you check your spark plug cap? Some screw on plug wire and I have also found that to cause problems. Most of the time the end of the plug wire can be cut and the cap can rethread on the wire. Also look for a slot up inside your sparkplug cap! Some caps have a threaded plug connector inside cap that may come loose and result in major headaches over nothing! If you find a slot inside cap try to tighten it with a flathead screwdriver. Good luck! What I have told you above are some of the things I have found in the past while working on some of my older bikes. When the bike stalls is the sparkplug wet with gas???
Again Good luck hope some of my info helps you.

Jonala

~SPONSOR~
Sep 20, 2000
Dirtman,
I got the bike running a couple a days ago. Thanks for your tips.

I had found that a air passage to the float bowl was blocked. Your points about the cap are right on. I ended up throwing the original 5K ohm cap away. I put on a non resistor cap.

I'm still considering buying a new coil. I don't like the spark that it produces.
I waiting for a clutch cable so that I can test ride the bike.

Dirtman500

Jan 8, 2004
Great glad it runs! Like I said in my post I have found to issues to cause me problems in the past with project bikes! I'm sure you cleaned all "E" connections..... Good Job!

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom