May 5, 2007
Ok my friend showed me how to pull of the line at a race,and he held it to the rev limiter.I was goin to maybe race this weekend but that cant be good for the bike.I mean he reved to the limiter and then just dumped the clutch.I was just wonderin how bad this is for the bike.Im running a b8es (two levels hotter than recommended)in a 2002 cr 80.Woudnt that just blow my bike up?Are there any alternate ways to get a good start?

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
When you want power, then you need power. At the start, you typically won't rev hard until the card goes sideways. After that most starters drop the gate in 3-5 seconds. That is not a long time to be on the limiter. If you just dump the clutch, then you will more than likely find yourself picking you bike back up less than 20 feet out, you have to release the clutch smoothly, fast enough to rip out of the gate, but slowly enough to keep the front wheel within a few inches of the ground.

There is a lot more to a good start that this. For a first race, you probalby shouldn't even try for the holeshot, that first turn is a killer.

THORmx_nucca

Apr 15, 2007
You'll have a blast! I remember my first race..
I came in dead last.. No joke, but it was so much fun.
The more seat-time you have the more better you'll get.
Good luck! =D

May 10, 2007
yea just remember practice

if you practice starts then you will get it right

if only i could have learned that before my first race.

hehe i fell over the first jump. landed bad. got lucky though and didnt break anything

but i did finish dead last

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Now where is Wardy at?He is the one to watch start!I would not be surprised that he is the reason putting back logs in to minumize how far back you can go before the gate is gaining momentum!Back up as far as allowed and time a jump if the starter is consistent.You do time the gate drops?Pretty much have the throttle pinned the last couple seconds,watch the little arms off of the main shaft that hold the gate,watch the one you can see nearest the box.You need wheel spin to quickly get your butt on the back to transition to getting the rear wheel to hook up,all the while keeping wfo and grabbing gears where ever the power can pull the strongest.The clutch has 2 positions in mx,in and out.You should not compensate rider inefficiencies with clutch abuse.First turn is the most intense rush ever,you need a big bag of kahonas and a lot of momentum!

Top Bottom