buffmaster

Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 11, 2001
I plan on doing some races next year, and have done some research about them here. Just how bad is the "pin it-and-dump-the-clutch-when-the-gate-drops method"? I know it's not as effective as a method that gets minimum wheel spin (wheel spin = less traction), but just how much of a difference is there? I'm asking b/c my father-in-law and brother-in-law, who both have raced(bro' races up until last year), both use the latter method b/c it's 'the only way'. Any help and or tips on this one would be great.
Oh yeah, one day we were all riding at house and 'dad' had us (me and 'bro' ') do starts. We were using the former method b/c that's all we knew. Everytime, whoever got to the first 10' (i.e.- whoever got traction first), won the holeshot.:think

KawieKX125

~SPONSOR~
Oct 9, 2000
The dump the clutch and pin it technique is auful. Learn to feather the clutch and throttle and control your weight for maximum traction and you will get good starts.

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
30% of the time you'll get to watch everyone pull away while you sit there and spin.

50% of the time you'll see everyone pulling away once you get the front end down from the monster wheelie you pulled.

18% of the time you'll get to watch everyone pull away while you pick up the bike after looping out.

The rest of the time you'll blow the holeshot by overshooting the first turn because you're so shocked that it actually worked.

:confused: :scream: :o

smilinicon

Feb 20, 2001
The rest of the time you'll blow the holeshot by overshooting the first turn because you're so shocked that it actually worked.

LOL... been there and done it! I have been doing my best starts by slipping clutch and front brake at the same time. 3/4 throttle then WFO and then put some arse into it to get the rear tire hooked up (after the gate).

Throttle must hit the stops... it's now or never at the starts.

FLBob

Jun 4, 2001
This caught my eye - I try to ride Hare Scrambles and feel I need to work on my starts because I'm switching from a little four stroke to a KDX220. Somewhere here I read someone suggesting starting out in second gear - sounded plausible, but I haven't had a chance to try it out. Stupid idea?

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
For MX, I always start in 2nd on a 250.

In HS, I also use second except when starting on a hill. The last HS I did had us starting going uphill for 50 yards, then downhill for another 50 before turning into the woods. 1st worked well for that one.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
1st makes you have to get your feet to the pegs too fast.

Top Bottom