sidewards

May 12, 2002
Is there a "target"in setting front and rear end spring pre-load?
I have used the arbitrary figure of 25% of the total rear wheel travel compressed when rider is in full riding gear and all weight is on pegs or seat. I have not measured/set front end pre-load.
Thanks in advance,
Sidewards

1998 XR 400R...stock suspension.
Rider weighs 155 lbs. in riding gear.

Sage

dirtbike riding roadracer
Mar 28, 2001
front sag does not seem to be widely used in the offroad world, in road racing its a big deal but I have not seen much said for offroad bikes, I set it myself as you were looking at it but I use 30% of total travel as a rule of thumb

Jeremy Wilkey

Owner, MX-Tech
Jan 28, 2000
Sage,
I agree 100%. In Road race I've come to think that the suspension is there to influence chassis not control the ride. In offroad we've learned how to make bikes work well at a damper level, but with all the triple clamp stufff going on I think we are on the cusp of the chassis eare in Offroad..

ITs been ignored for to long, and whilst seal drag does prevent easy front sag numbers I think the major improvements are coming not from suspension but from Chassis in the near future. So we are going to borrowing from Road racing..

As an example, the new 250 KTM is going to be night and day better than the 02... The changes are both dramatic and suttle, however the quality in ride I hear is amazing.. The best part about it is the actual build of the suspension does not have to change, yet on the 03 the bike is worlds better? Pretty wild what a few mm can do..

I for one can't wait.. I've got lots to learn..And that's a cool thing..

Regards,
Jer

Top Bottom