Stator help (options, of new)

Vermilion

Jul 7, 2009
I has wondering if there is any way of eking out any more voltage from the stock stator. What is the cheapest stator/rewind option? I am running an aftermarket light (well was but the backing of the bulb disintegrated) Just won a bid for a new on EBay. My stock stator wasn’t enough for the last one, Kinda think I’m gonna have the same issue. My biggest problem with all this is a CHEAP wife (unless we are talking about a Coach, or Dooney burke :bang:)

Also wanna slowly convert it to a Street legal machine. (step father died on a street bike, so I have an up hill battle, but I will win, just a matter of when? :laugh: ) Thanks for any help in any of these issues.

reepicheep

Apr 3, 2009
Another possibility would be to leave the stock stator alone, and eeking out more light from for the power you are already using.

A normal filament lamp is using X amount of watts to create both heat and light. The more heat, the less light. The fact that a filament does this creates both a "power hunger" problem and a "melt stuff" problem as you try and crank up the power.

A HID lamp (High Intensity Discharge) takes that same X amount of power and puts out a lot more light and a lot less heat. This solves two problems, you don't have to rewind the stator and you won't melt housings. HID bulbs are also likely to last for the lifetime of the vehicle.

The downside to the HID is cost (though they are getting pretty cheap these days), the fact that it needs an external ballast, and the fact that the ballast can be damaged by excessive on and off cycling in quick succession. Also, a HID needs a large draw of current at startup.

I suspect somebody has worked this out for trail bikes with no batteries. I could think of solutions to all those problems (and can give you a schematic I made for a delay timer so that the bulb wont try and turn on until after the bike has been running for 60 seconds or so to protect the ballast).

Anyway, that's another option... probably close to the same cost as a stator rewind.

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
HID lights seem like a good idea, and simple enough to work out on paper. However, I have followed an HID conversion thread or two that have been given up on due to strobe light effects. I'm sure it can be done, but it's just not going to be as easy as all that. LED is a cheaper alternative that is also less demanding power wise than the filament bulbs.

reepicheep

Apr 3, 2009
If you are within 10 watts of getting there, and not melting housings up front, then definitely go the LED tail lamp route, that's a great suggestion.

I installed a HID on my Buell almost 20k miles ago, and it works beautifully. Of course a Buell has a battery, I don't know how clean the power is on a two stroke, so you might also need a big capacitor.

You also definitely want a delay circuit before the HID "boots up" though...

stevewr450f

Nov 22, 2006
I suggest you check out KDX Rider.net. The moderator has been selling 100 watt stators for around $100. Also, people are saying that if you gap the plug some afterwards they are also getting a performance improvement.

Vermilion

Jul 7, 2009
and get an LED tail/brake light that will soak up a LOT less of your power so that you can leave it for your headlight. I got one for my bike, even with the stator rewind, and it works GREAT.[/QUOTE]

I wanted my KDX to look different than all the others (within my wifes budget LOL) So I swapped out some plastic. One of them I swapped out was the rear fender. Changed it out for an MX fender (like the look better) I'll have to change this if I (am allowed to) change it to a street ride. So I dont have that extra draw for the rear marker.

Vermilion

Jul 7, 2009
stevewr450f said:
I suggest you check out KDX Rider.net. The moderator has been selling 100 watt stators for around $100. Also, people are saying that if you gap the plug some afterwards they are also getting a performance improvement.

SWEET!!!! I'm deffantly gonna check that out!

Top Bottom