cash_62

May 13, 2009
I just got off the phone with the good folks over at Baja Designs. Seems the 95 KDX 200 I just bought already had a Baja kit on it with their stator rewind. Well, let's just say the rewound lighting coil was burnt to a crispy, brittle mass. I found that this was because it was rubbing againt the inner collar of the flywheel (the part that goes around the crankshaft).
Baja stated that it could be because of failing crank bearings causing a wobble of my FW. However, the collar of the FW was polished all the way around from where it was rubbing, indicating no wobble. Also, a bike mechanic buddy of mine looked at my bike and told me that my bearings are rock-solid.

Anyhow, I just spoke to Nate (Baja's stator guru--does all the rewinds himself). After explaining the situation, he said he's able to re-wrap the lighting coil but leave a gap in the center of the outer winding(s) of the coil and then thicken them on the outside to compensate for the gap and thus still yield the same power output as their normal rewind for the KDX, and allowing for extra clearance in the center where it was rubbing before.

I'm saying all this just because if anyone is thinking of having Baja re-do their stator for dual-sport, I'd recommend calling Nate and having him do this special re-wind for you. Didn't cost me any extra, and it may save you a burned-up coil and the time it takes to have it done again.

Also, when I get it back, I think I'll smear a thin layer of white grease inside the FW, install it, kick it over a few times (NOT run it), then pull the FW off, and see if there's any grease that rubbed onto the stator. If it does, I know I'll need to give it some attention before burning another coil.

Hope someone finds this useful/helpful.

Last edited:
Top Bottom