Steel City Traffic

JimmyD2

~SPONSOR~
Nov 10, 2000
A drive that should take a shade less than 2 hours ended up taking 5 HOURS! We sat in traffic for 3.5 hours on a 4 or 5 mile stretch on 66 between Rt22 and the track.

To top it off, we had 4 and 5 year old boys that got along great for about 4 hours of the drive. :)

Man, I know about leaving early for a race but jeez. We left at 8AM, figuring that maybe we'd get caught up in traffic for an hour or so. But WOW! 5 HOURS! Luckily I only missed the first 15 minutes of the first moto of the 125s. Of course I expected to be there for qualifiers...

Next year I'm camping.

Last edited:

KawieKX125

~SPONSOR~
Oct 9, 2000
Yikes!
I was at The Wick(southwick) this year and there was NO traffic leaving or going on little country roads with thousands of people going. They used all the towns cops and most of the highschool students to control all the cars and keep traffic down. People always say that the other nationals suck to go to, now I know why!
Sorry to hear about the bad luck!:(

super rat

Ass Clown at DRN
Mar 31, 2001
I would have wiated in line 4x's that long to see that race. We spent over a thousand bucks and 4 days of our lives to see that race and I would do it again in a second. That was the best mx race I have ever seen:)

Russ

Jan 17, 2001
It's hard to second guess the traffic at Steel City. We live about 1/2 hour away and it took my sister-in-law 2 hours this year. In previous years, we've driven right in! Of course, I can remember waiting in traffic at Budds Creek too, but not 5 hours. It's just not a very good set-up at Steel City. Keep in mind that it's even WORSE for the people who need to use 66 that aren't even going to the race.

DSsuper92

Mar 27, 2000
I'm glad that somebody brought this up. For years now I've been sitting in that traffic and saying I'm not going through this next year. This year I mean it. I attended Saturday's amateur races and paid for both days. I didn't camp out as no one I know would camp out with me. On Sunday I sat in traffic for over two hours. After seeing that I was still at least an hour away from the track I turned around in disgust.

The city of Delmont should be ashamed at that amount of traffic. Racer Productions should be ashamed at that amount of traffic. The AMA should be ashamed at that amount of traffic. I'm not even sure why Steel City holds a National. It's so poorly laid out. You can only walk half of the track. There's only one way into the track. The track isn't even that nice looking.

I'm done with Steel City. I have a lot of respect for what the Coombs family has done for this sport but I refuse to partake in that fiasco anymore. I’ll stick to High Point and a select amount of Supercrosses. At least I can get into those.

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
CAMP!!

Okay - so you probably KNEW ahead of time that there was gonna be traffic - so come in Saturday and camp out. Problem solved. Headaches gone. Plus you get to see up close practice and qualifiers on Saturday without the big crowds. The very first national I went to - we went in Sunday morning (and waited in the lines at Red Bud while we missed practice/qualifiers that were going on at the track) and from then on - we have beat the rush and went in either Fri. or Sat. It's a lot more fun that way too.

Seriously - do you expect an OUTDOOR NATIONAL MOTOCROSS track to be in the middle of a big city with 6 lane highways to accomidate the traffic? NO - usually they're out in BFE - down some contry road. Troy is, Millville is, Red Bud is, High Point is, Steel City is - I'm guessing that they all are for the most part!

I do agree that they could have had a wider entrance (like 5-6 lanes) and more people taking the gate fee - and they definately had the space to do this at the gate. But good point Russ - I felt really bad for the people who lived around there and were trying to get to church Sunday morning! :eek:

Oh - and next year - both High Point (Memorial Day weekend) and Steel City (Labor Day weekend) are going to be alcohol free - so expect lines twice as long while people get their vehicles searched (Like they did at Red Bud and Millville this year)

coop47

Feb 21, 2000
There is a back way into the track. Instead of getting off 22 and heading north on 66, you drive maybe 3 or 4 miles past the 66 exit, make a left, go another 2 or 3 miles, make another left, go another mile and your at the track. These are all unmarked country roads that I would assume very few people attending the race even know exist. It takes maybe 15 minutes from the time you pass the 66 exit on 22 until your at the entrance to the track and since not many people know about it, there is never any traffic.

Personally, I like the track as far as the layout and spectator viewing. High Point is much less friendly when it comes to seeing the whole track. Also, how many other tracks have one of the top freestyle riders in the country living on the property? Although I personally like watching the race itself more than the jumping exhibitions, I can't think of a better way to beat the "end of race traffic jam" and my kids love it. Most people don't realize that Mike Jones has been putting on these shows for the past couple of years. This year we got an added bonus when Trevor Vines and Dan Pastor rolled out of his garage right behind him.

I guess everyone has their own opions, but once you learn the local tricks to getting around the 10 mile long traffic jams, it's a great event. I also feel very lucky and am thankful to the Coombs family for giving me the opportunity to attend two National races within 1 1/2 hours of my house.

JimmyD2

~SPONSOR~
Nov 10, 2000
Re: CAMP!!

Originally posted by nikki
Oh - and next year - both High Point (Memorial Day weekend) and Steel City (Labor Day weekend) are going to be alcohol free

WOW! I didn't know that. I wonder if that will hurt attendance? (I hope so) It looks like there is a large percentage of people that were there for drinking only! Plus my 4 year old son really enjoyed stepping on every empty can in his path...

Originally posted by nikki
Okay - so you probably KNEW ahead of time that there was gonna be traffic - so come in Saturday and camp out. Problem solved. Headaches gone.

I agree with that, but that option is not ideal for everyone... Sure I expected traffic. That's why I gave myself an hour or two cushion. But I NEVER expected to wait for 3.5 hours!

Originally posted by coop47
There is a back way into the track. Instead of getting off 22 and heading north on 66, you drive maybe 3 or 4 miles past the 66 exit, make a left, go another 2 or 3 miles, make another left, go another mile and your at the track.

You know that's the way that we were directed OUT of Steel City. They had cops at those intersections pointing the way out. All this time I'm wondering why didn't I come in this way... Perhaps they can officially provide these alternate directions to the track and alleviate some of the headaches.

I've been in High Point traffic and it has NEVER been that bad. It was absolutely ridiculous. I am happy that the race is held there and I will be back, but there HAS to be a better way.

Somebody send this thread to Davey Coombs...

DSsuper92

Mar 27, 2000
Seriously - do you expect an OUTDOOR NATIONAL MOTOCROSS track to be in the middle of a big city with 6 lane highways to accomidate the traffic? NO - usually they're out in BFE - down some contry road. Troy is, Millville is, Red Bud is, High Point is, Steel City is - I'm guessing that they all are for the most part!

I've lived in Pittsburgh my entire life. I can't think of a six lane highway strectch in the entire city. Traffic is expected around here and I accept that. The roads here we're built with no thought for the future. That's what bothers me the most. If Delmont was smart it would have closed the left hand lane on the road that the track was on. Then opened it back up so it was two lanes into the track. If that type of traffic continues there won't be races there much longer. I couldn't imagine being someone coming home from Church and then getting stuck in that traffic. All heck would be raised at the next town meeting or whatever Delmont has.

I think it's great that they aren't going to let alcohol into the track. I don't go there to drink I go to watch the races. If they were smart they would try and get a liquor license and sell alcohol. That would cut back on a lot of problems while still letting people enjoy a beer.

I've always enjoyed High Point more than Steel City. That's just my opinion though. To me it's a nicer track with more areas to view from. Plus on amateur days they have hare scrambles which Steel City doesn't.

This isn't meant to flame D.C. When I met that guy he was real cool and he helped me have a great time when I went to the Dallas SX. I'll never forget his generosity. I just don't think that area was meant to hold that many people.

MXSparx

Mr. Meltsomeglass
Jul 25, 1999
NoVa
There is a back way into the track.

Not so loud. I dont want to sit in traffic next year. I didnt this year :)

AJ Waggoner

Crash Test Dummy
Nov 5, 1999
LOL Motoparts you sly dog....that was a hot line it seems!

for the record I thought the first moto of the 125 class was epic
and almost defined MX.
I'd sit in another 5 hours of traffic ,twice even, to watch it.

Red bud has also had it years of unreal traffic..the key?
dont be in any hurry to leave.( whats the rush to go sit in traffic anyway?)
or to get there.
plan on arriving really early..you wouldnt think to leave for a regular mx race at 8am ..you'd already be missing sign up and practice?
we left at 5 am saturday morning ( similar to going racing eh?)..from pittsburg ..and about 6 am sunday morning..
little traffic problems :)

I do feel for the people of Delmont..but then again i'm sure the local city council is very happy with the generated revenue for the town?
6 of one -half dozen of the other?

its a beautiful track- hope it always has a Nat.
in face I hope they drop some SX s and have more nats..but alas i dont ever see that happening .but THATS another flame..lol

coop47

Feb 21, 2000
Oooops, sorry motoxsparx. I thought the exact same thing after I posted.

Anyhow, I agree with AJ on the time thing. I live 20 minutes from the track (when there is no traffic) and I was shaking my wife and two boys awake at 6:15 am Sunday morning. We walked out the door at 7:00 am sharp and returned home at 7:30 pm. The way I look at it, we only get to attend two nationals per year, we might as well make them last as long as possible. We all really enjoy getting there early and watching the pro’s hit the track for their practices. Some of the best tricks the pro’s throw, are during the morning practice sessions. After the race is over, we usually attend the awards ceremony, toss around a football, BS with other people parked around us about the race, or watch the freestyle boys go off. There is no rush on our part to get into the line of traffic trying to exit the track.

The couple of times a year we race out there for the local D-5 races, it’s the same thing – up at 6:00 leave the house at 7:00. To me, it’s all part of the sport. There is nothing better in my mind than walking onto a nicely prepped moto-x track as the sun is still rising, the dew is still on the ground and there is a light cloud of fog hanging over the grassy infield areas. I don’t know if it’s the anticipation of what’s to come or if it’s the quietness since there aren’t many people there but for me, it’s kind of Zen like.:cool:

JimmyD2

~SPONSOR~
Nov 10, 2000
You guys better be quiet! Everyone will be leaving bright and early and taking the shortcut then sitting in traffic for 3 hours... :D

AJ Waggoner

Crash Test Dummy
Nov 5, 1999
To me, it’s all part of the sport. There is nothing better in my mind than walking onto a nicely prepped moto-x track as the sun is still rising, the dew is still on the ground and there is a light cloud of fog hanging over the grassy infield areas. I don’t know if it’s the anticipation of what’s to come or if it’s the quietness since there aren’t many people there but for me, it’s kind of Zen like.:cool:

haha whoa! that was GREAT coop !!
well said and very Tolkienish---
and hey I think DC is looking for contributers to RacerX :)

give it slightly more of a Hemingway slant and mention fishing and bullfighting somehow and you'll be IN!

Coop

Jan 21, 2000
I agree with coop47. We didn't make it this year, but every year we went We were at the track before 8 am. Never waited in traffic that early. People that show up at 10 and think they are getting there early are just asking for it :) I speak from experience because I took my nephew one year. My sister didn't have him ready and we didn't get there until 9. We waited in traffic and I was irritated.

I'm kicking myself for missing it this year after reading about the race.

Coop

Top Bottom