crf450guy

Sep 1, 2003
I race hare scrambles and my biggest problem is killing the bike on the STEEP little rocky, rutted, tree rooted hills. Some of them are almost straight up and down but other guys make it up them fine. I added a flywheel weight and a 3 tooth bigger rear sprocket and still kill the bike alot. Its really exhausting to kill the bike on these steep sections..either push the rest of the way up(if i can) or roll back down. I think my foot on the rear brake is causing me to kill it some times. Any advice will be appreciated.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
A couple of things to try:

1) Always ride with one or two fingers over the clutch.  Instantly pull in the clutch a little (may not have to pull it in all the way) and add some throttle when you are approaching a stall. 

2)  If you are dragging your rear brake too much, train yourself to point your toes upward, or try lowering the pedal some.

3)  If all else fails, increase your idle speed some. 

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
The last HS I did had a lot of hills that were between 1st and 2nd gear for me. The first lap I ran 2nd and had to use the clutch a lot. After that I started using 1st. It was tricky riding with the power way up like that, but it was better than abusing the clutch and risking stalling.

WeInErIsH

Sep 10, 2003
If your worried about having to pull the clutch in to change gears, just don't use it.

When not using the brake I put my foot kind of below the pedal.

Have the hand on the clutch ready to use it a little.

rfs mike

Sponsoring Member
Dec 30, 2002
My opinion only!!! I do pretty ok on hills.
I ride with the ball of my foot on the peg. Which means that I have to take my foot off the peg to press the break. There-for I can’t drag the break. This also keeps my toes from getting smashed. I personally would never put my foot under the break pedal. That’s a sure way of losing a toe or two on a stump or rock.
I also use 1st gear if it’s a technical hill. I practiced on small steep hills and see just how slow I can go up. I practice fanning the clutch just enough to lift the front wheel off the ground all the way up the hill. I squeeze the seat to keep from sliding off. There is a certain feel that you’ll get that lets you know the exact position to be in for every hill. The sweet spot I call it. It gets you the most traction with out flipping the bike. Practice till you find it. Remember you can go fast and stall it or take your time and be precise and make it the first time. You can keep increasing your speed once you get the feel for it.
Happy trails.
Mike

Top Bottom