Steep, Sandy, Downhill Technique

Pantaz

Dec 13, 2001
Ugh! I cannot figure out how to deal with steep, loose, deep-sand downhill sections. The bike just goes where it wants to and pitches me off!
I know my weight is an issue, but there has to be SOMETHING I can do to improve my technique.

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
I've had the same sensation in very loose sand and slippery mud. I found it best not to try to fight the bike, but rather to "follow the front end". If the bike hits a patch that wants to take to front tire to the left, I let it go and ride through that. If I try to fight it to bring it back, I end up losing the front end and going down.

Sep 23, 2002
try to have fun with it, find a rock or something you can jump and land about 1/3 way down the hill. then you dont have to worry about the other 2/3's lol. i dont know. all i do know is dont lock the rear brake and its easier to control the bike with the throttle on in soft dirt/sand. lean back i guess??WFO

djebel250

Mar 24, 2001
I had the same bad experience last sunday and now I am resting at home due to the crashes I had from the ride. But if the terrain is hard pack with ditches. do u use the ditches to run ur rear wheels in them while the front stays on top of them? what about sandy down hills corners? do i weight the front and try to power out?

Gardener

Jul 28, 2000
Get on the rear fender and feed a little power. You might have to brake drag a bit to keep speed in check (sometimes hard to do with your butt on the rear fender). If the sand is deep, the sand will provide all the braking you need. Let the bike work under you, don't fight it.

slickpuss

Sponsoring Member
Jan 19, 2002
I just try to slow when I can on washouts and flats. And keep my weight central and try to keep rolling in control when I am on the steep straights. If your hills are like ours they drop a couple thousand feet and you are in third or fourth gear speeds for most of the hill. Ive never been able to get pro tips for the steep hills.

KenR

Feb 20, 2002
The only pro tip I've gotten about riding down steep hills is to ride like it was flat, keeping more weight towards the back. "Ya, right" I said, then he (a #1 plate holder in BITD) proceeded to ACCELERATE down the hill, on the gas, in perfect control.

I've never had the huevos to attempt that, but since then I've learned to try and relax and let the bike roll a bit more, staying off the brakes as much as possible. Oh, and STAND UP!

Top Bottom