T Genet

Apr 19, 2001
I have just started racing HS and love it, but my KTM 300exc has quite a bit of head shake. I have had several people tell me a steering damper will take care of this. Considering how much they are, does anyone have any recommendations on particular brands.

CR Swade

~SPONSOR~
Jan 18, 2001
I just ordered and installed a Scott's unit. I went with the Scott's because of the amazing deal they have going right now. I received top triple clamp, bar clamps, bolt on kit (the post for the stabilizer) and a set of fat bars. My dealer let me pick between Magura's and the Pro Tapers that come w/ the kit.
Installation was about 45min and had all kinds of set-up tips and adjustment tips. The other reason(s) I decided on the Scott damper were more adjustment, both in sweep and high speed. Cost: the whole set-up cost me $570.00 (that was including sales tax). Lastly, some reports had stated that the Scotts unit was not hard anodized. This is direct from Scotts: the domestic versions (as opposed to the ones Ohlins produces ofr Europe) are all hard anodized internals.
Either way, both units work well from what I have heard. I'll keep you posted.:cool:

SPD

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 20, 2001
I have a WER and it's a lot better than what I use to have. Nothing. I chose the WER for the price. You can't adjust it on the fly but most of my riding is the same. It cost me 319.00 from my local parts man.

T Genet

Apr 19, 2001
Thanks for everyone's input. It sounds like I can't go wrong unless i just don't get one. I think I am going with the Scott because of the total package deal. :cool:

justql

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 23, 2000
I put the Scott's set up on my Gas Gas. I love it. I also have a P3 computer and billet gaurd on mine. It's a great, professional looking and performing setup. :)

reynome

Sep 1, 1999
I have ridden with both and the GPR is more effective IMO. I put the scotts in the highest setting and it didnt seem to dampen enough. The next weekend I put my GPR on and felt it worked better. I just bought the bike from a buddy and he had the scotts still on it, I hadnt taken it off yet. The GPR is considerably cheaper, $350 with DH racing bar clamp (not top triple). I am very pleased with it.

lawman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 20, 1999
i had a wer & now have a scotts. imo, they work about the same, unless the adjust-on-the-fly feature matters to you. the scotts may be a micron smoother, but it's hard to tell. each creates its own hassles with mounting/interference with other stuff on the bike. i also wonder what'll happen if i ever go over the bars real low & hit that big scotts unit sticking up--know what i mean?

Rodzilla

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 21, 1999
Reynome,

Wonder if you had a defective unit? When you crank up my Scotts to full hard you can barely move the bars!

Rod

Last edited:

reynome

Sep 1, 1999
I dont think it was defective, but after riding my bike at the track maybe there really isnt that much difference after all. It is hard to tell, they both definately do a good job damping. BTW I do like to have the ability to change the settings on the fly. I would like to ride the scotts on some sand washes on a enduro and I could tell for sure, my GPR completely changed my bikes handeling in sandy sweepers because the front didnt dive under.

teton

Dec 13, 2000
What Rod said!! My Scotts is an old one and has seen many-races, and still in the middle of the setting if you jerk the bars you can feel alot of damping, in the highest setting you can hardly move it. Your buddy might need a rebuild on the Scott's, if you cant feel any thing its missing some oil.

Top Bottom