cr25096er

Apr 16, 2002
im getting a steering damper and would like to know something. on my cr i get headshake at high speeds. with the steering damper i know it will be reduced but can i eliminate it? do any of the dampers like make the bike straighten out (like make the bars return to straight)? the gpr looks nice but i think the scotts is also nice but 2 expensive. i ride in sand pits w/ trails and rough straights and feel this would help me. where can i get a good price on one of these? how hard or expencive would a weld on post be? how about a bolt on (if gpr or wer or scotts has one) be?

crkid

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 2001
I can't find any info on the WER stabalizer. But both Scotts and GPR offer weld-on or bolt-on kits. However, unless you can find one used, you're gonna pay quite a bit for them. MX South has good prices and offers both Scotts and GPR stabalizers. The stabalizers will eliminate your headshake. I wish I could get one for my CR. :)

azcourt

Apr 29, 2001
There are a lot of things that cause headshake. Worn steering stem bearings, wheel bearings, swing arm bearings...and so on. The steering stabilizer will not fix these problems, but may mask them somewhat. It will however improve the feel of the bike in sand and rocks immensely. I used to hate sand washes, or any sand in general. My bike always had a slot car feeling, like the sand was in control not me. I was blown away by how the damper changed that. The bike goes exactly where I want it to now.

As for the Scotts vs. GPR debate, I tried them back to back and could tell no difference. Here are some differences I know of.

The Scotts only dampens away from center, and goes free back to center. GPR dampens both ways. The Scotts has adjustable sweep control (it does not dampen to full lock, only to 10, 15 20 degrees or so. GPR is a set sweep, not adjustable. The Scotts has separate high and low speed circuits, with separate adjusters. GPR, just one dampening circuit, and one adjuster. Scotts has 30 or more "Clicks" of lo speed adjustment. GPR has 6. Scotts must be adjusted through the click range to go from full hard to full soft. GPR can go from full hard to full soft in one click. Scotts has a LOT more parts inside (more to break). GPR rebuilds theirs for free, and has a lifetime warranty (including any updates). Scotts is 100 bucks more.

As a novice or "C" rider I can tell no difference between them. I have friends that race expert that can tell no difference. I never have adjusted anything other than the low speed knob on the Scotts, and very rarely adjust that. Any damper is better than none, you will be amazed.

Try www.monkeybuttparts.com . GPR dampers are 279.99, kits start at 309.99. It would be best to call them to order.

bandit.gif

smb_racing

Master of None
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 31, 2000
I like my WER dampener so far. Finding a bolt on mount for the WER should be no problem, because I believe that's all they offer. Although my GasGas had no headshake to speak of before the installation I find that it is much easier to handle through ruts and tree roots, haven't seen many rocks lately though. It works as advertised, more info available on WER's site http://www.werproducts.net

smb_racing

Master of None
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 31, 2000
Mark, your link sends you to a ripoff site full of popup windows, were you meaning to post the link I had in my previous post?

cr25096er

Apr 16, 2002
how gpr dampens both wayts will that benifit me or not? like will i have to work against it if the bars turn a little to return it to center? where could it be welded? an autobody? how dependable is the weld on post if its done rite?

jeb

Jul 21, 1999
Scott's and I think WER make a big deal out of the dampers not damping back to center which does make sense to me. But most GPR owners are very happy with the units.

You can see my welded on tower in this picture:
http://pws.chartermi.net/~jejb/pictures/rfs_throttle.jpg
The weld on towers are the way to go, IMO. VERY reliable. The clamp around the steering stem style my buddies run all come loose sooner or later. The Scott's damper is not in place for that picture as I had it sent off to MXTuner for a rebuild. There was nothing wrong with it and I've never had any problems with it. It had 4 seasons on it so I figured I might as well get it rebuilt to make sure it's fresh.

Most anyone that welds can handle attaching it. It's steel to steel so just about any wire feed welder will handle the job.

azcourt

Apr 29, 2001
Originally posted by cr25096er
how gpr dampens both wayts will that benifit me or not? like will i have to work against it if the bars turn a little to return it to center? where could it be welded? an autobody? how dependable is the weld on post if its done rite?
When the damper is on the bike, and you turn the bars, you don't even know it is there. You will never notice the dampen feeling at all, all you will notice is how good the bike tracks over stuff that normally jars the bars from your hands. I personally am a fan of the bolt on towers. Yeah, I have seen a couple come loose, but I have seen weld on towers break (4 times in the Nevada 2000). It sucks to have to grind off the tower, and weld on a new one. Also, the tower on my YZ 400 is getting pretty worn. It will need replacing soon. It seems the tower pin is harder than the hole it goes in. The pin is replaceable easilly, the tower is not. One of these days I'll grind it off.

jeb

Jul 21, 1999
Originally posted by azcourt

It seems the tower pin is harder than the hole it goes in. The pin is replaceable easilly, the tower is not.

Great point. What I did was go to a machine shop with the pin and get a hardened dowel pin that was just long enough to fill the rest of the empty space in the tower. I had to drive it in with a fair amount of force to get it past what I assume was some welding deformation. That was a good thing, IMO, as I know that pin is not going anywhere.

The damper pin now rests on top of the extra pin so I really could even live without the collar at this point.

cr25096er

Apr 16, 2002
can some one tell me what to torque the top triple clamps, steering stem bolt and handle bar mounts to? its a 96cr250. thanks

Top Bottom