Midhigh

~SPONSOR~
Jul 19, 2002
I have just completed the KDX to KX front fork conversion. And I am totally missing the steering damper I had on the KDX forks. When I go back to a damper do I get one that fits a 2000 KX or one that fits a 1996 KDX or do I really need a combination of both? I have only had experience with the WER, so I'm not real familiar with the scott's or GPR

Cactus Jim

Apr 1, 2002
I felt my KDX200 really didn't need a steering damper, so I didn't put one on it, but my KX500 for some reason is not as stable at higher speeds, so I installed a GPR unit and love it. It's easy to adjust "on the fly" and works great. I had a few small problems, but they're fixed now. I had to spot weld the "clamp on" post to the frame because it wouldn't stay tight (GPR said it's a typical problem for Kaw's and Yam's), and excessive handlebar movement created by the rubber cones caused the arm to come loose. This was fixed by going to neoprene cones which virtually have no movement at all.

Hope this helps. PS - I use tall Renthal bars and the top connecting bar passes right over the GPR unit, but I can't use the foam pad.

RTL

~SPONSOR~
Nov 13, 2001
Hmmm.. What kinda guy would sell his new WER in the first place. I love my new WER and would not give it up for anything.... :yeehaw: What is the world coming too? However, there are several guys in the Vol Riders which use the Scotts and love it... All but the lack of face protection... But then again, they all ride orange... and can afford it..... :laugh:

Ryno149

Jun 23, 2002
Hey Cactus Jim, did GPR get the problem fixed or is still a problem that can be fixed by using the weld-on post. I don't really want to weld something on my frame, but if thats what it takes.
Thanx

Cactus Jim

Apr 1, 2002
Ryno149....... As far as I know, the problem still exists, but it took a while before it originally worked loose (as stated before, I baught the clamp on. Weld on way too hard to position correctly). I've seen other Kaw's with the clamp on that worked just fine. It was GPR that suggested spot welding the clamp on post just to keep it in place. This fixed the problem (for me) and it could easily be removed if needed by crinding off the spot welds.

skipro3

Mod Ban
Dec 14, 2002
Hi there midhigh,
I was kinda wonderin' why you sold that thing! I use my WER on my KX forks / KDX mod. It fit perfect. After all it bolts to where the fender bolts on(that didn't change) and it bolts to the frame you drilled a bolt for. (that didn't change either). So now go out and buy another one, (that ain't cheap) and enjoy high speeds again.

Speedy

Nov 12, 2001
AM i wrong but arent you suppose to use solid handlebar mounts so the damper will work correctly. Also, isnt welding really the only way to make the damper fuction properly..

Cactus Jim

Apr 1, 2002
Clamp on posts are "suppose" to stay tight, and probably usually do. Mine didn't, so I spot welded them. GPR's system is designed to work with rubber mounted bars, but mine moved too much (forward and backward), that's why I replaced the rubber cones with neoprene ones that are very hard. Now the bars really don't move at all. For me, this was an easy way to get "solid" mounted bars. I guess we learn as we go!!!

Top Bottom