Bodge

~SPONSOR~
Oct 4, 2003
On my 96cr250 the steering head bearing are roasted. What will i need to repalce the races? Will i need a press? ALso I ordered from rocky mountain mc, the bearings(all balls) didnt seem to look exactly like the stock ones. They seemed to be more like a sealed bearing(like they stayed together). Will i need to buy the races also or do they come w/ the all balls kit?

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Bearings can come in a couple of ways. Retainer bearings have a smaller amount of balls in the ring and are held together in symetrical fashion by a holder or "retainer".
Full Compliment bearings have no retainer and there are more of them in the ring. There is only space for maybe half a bearing more so they stay put without a holder.
Full compliment bearings have lots more integrity and will last much longer.
Races are usually sold seperately. You need to press them off and on.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
You can get them here http://www.powersportspro.com/ ...but they will be overpriced.

Any bearing house can provide you with quality bearings and races. Try your local auto parts store. They may not have what you need but they can probably direct you to the place that does. You need to know what you have first. (numbers and/or sizes...measure the bearing or take it with you)

HLT

Sponsoring Member
Dec 15, 2000
I bought a bearing kit by "All Balls" recently and it had the races included. Also, you do not need to press the races in and out. You use a good drift punch to get them out and one of the removed races to drive the new ones back in. Go slow and keep checking that the race is going in straight. Just be sure to get them seated all the way. What you will need a press for is removing and replacing the bearing on the steering stem. If you don't have access to a press, it will take your local shop about 2 minutes to do.

Top Bottom