Steering Stem Bearing Replacement Help

mandark1967

Mar 12, 2007
Tore the rest of the YZ down this afternoon to get the frame ready for powdercoating and noticed the steering felt "notchy". I removed the bars and TT and saw that the lower TT bearings were really worn.

It was easy to remove the upper TT bearings and both the upper and lower races from the steering head, but I cant seem to get the pressed bearings off the steering stem.

I don't have the special tool for removing the pressed-on bearings so I'm wondering if someone has a method for removing the bearings from the steering stem without having to take it to the dealer and pay the $70 labor rate for a 3 minute job. (yes. my shop charges in 1 hour units of time) :ohmy:

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
Find a different shop. Any shop that charges you more than $20 for such a job is a rip-off and doesn't deserve your business. You need to change the races in the frame as well. The old ones can be removed with a long drift. The new ones take some improvisation. If you have a socket that matches the diameters, you can use that to drive them in. Sometimes, I'll file the rounded edge off of the bottom of the socket so they work better. You can use a soft drift to drive them in if you're careful.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Take 2 flatblade screwdrivers and wedge the bearing off with your favorite HAMMER! Putting it back on is a little trickier,you need to drive it on the inner race,drive the 2 races into the frame. Check the clamps after your first ride,if it is loose you will have to keep checking it till the bearings seat.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom