Steering stem bearings...bottom won't come off

Buzz Bomb

May 9, 2000
I am in the process of greasing the steering stem and lubing everything up, but I can't get the bottom steering stem bearing off. What should I do? I didn't take it off the first time I greased them because the bike was new and had a good amount of grease on them already.

400sxman

Jul 11, 2001
ok, here's the deal. the bottom stearing head bearing shouldn't come off. its pressed on there and comes off when the stem is puched ouit of the lower clamp. it shouldn't be able to come off. so just work the grease in with your fingers and your ready to ride.

roostinbe

Mar 22, 2001
the other thing you can do, if you really want to clean and pack them right, is to go to an auto garage and get them to press the stem through the bottom triple clamp, that will force the bearing off of it's inner race, then clean it, re-lube it, and press the steering stem back into the clamp, then use a long press die, to press the bearing (press it on the inner race) back onto it's seat. you don't have to do this when you are just re lubing them, but that is the procedure for replacing them.

Buzz Bomb

May 9, 2000
Naah, I'm just relubing them. I sprayed them with contact cleaner to get most of the goop out, and pushed greased into all the little crevices. It should be set.

Top Bottom