eldrm

~SPONSOR~
Nov 3, 2000
i've got the pivot works bearing set and noticed they are for 00-03,my kdx is a 95 200,they seem to only make that set for the 200,and checking the "all balls"set theirs fits 93-03 which leads me to believe the stem hasn't changed all that much over the years.have any of you used these (pivot works)on an older (95) bike? any change out tips would also be appreciated,thanks!

JCW

~SPONSOR~
Jan 23, 2003
It's pretty easy.

1)Take the front tire and forks off-
2)Remove the handlebars and take the bolt off of the top triple clamp-
3)Remove the top triple clamp-
4)Remove the bolt which was below the top triple clamp-
5)Take the plastic cover off of the top bearings-
6)Clean out everything and grease the tube with waterproof grease
7)"Pack" the bearings with waterproof grease-
8)Put the bearings in and reverse the process until you finish

(Use lots of grease- it's cheap!)

Be sure you have a bike stand to hold the front tire off of the ground safely. It should not take more than 2 hours.

Knobbyjake

~SPONSOR~
Jan 29, 2000
I just put a Pivot Works set on my wife's '87 XR200. No problems, high quality. Came with bearings, races, and new seals (dust covers). To remove the bottom race clamp the stem in a soft jawed vice or cover the jaws with rags, not too tight, just give it (the race) a couple smacks with a hammer and punch, it fits on a tapered part of the stem and doesn't take much to knock it loose from it.

eldrm

~SPONSOR~
Nov 3, 2000
thanks for the replies! i was concerned that the bearings i got were for a 00-03 kdx,and mine is 95.i checked the kawaski.com parts diagram for both years and they used the same bearing so i guess i'm good to go with the kit i have,thanks again for the help-ed

BRush

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2000
If it was me, I'd disassemble everything and take the stem down to the local shop and have them press off the old, and put on the new lower bearing. Fortunately I have a good local shop that will do stuff like this for a reasonable price.

wibby

Mod Ban
Mar 15, 2003
If it was me, I'd disassemble everything and take the stem down to the local shop and have them press off the old, and put on the new lower bearing.

Where's the fun in doing that? ;)

I thought I was gonna have to, after I completely destroyed the lip all the way around the bearing!

JCW

~SPONSOR~
Jan 23, 2003
One more thing, if you use heat, remember the gas tank is close by. I would definitely remove it and work in a well ventilated area. Fumes are more dangerous than liquid gas (at least that's what I have always heard / to me, both need to be a long long long long long way from a flame)
JCW

eldrm

~SPONSOR~
Nov 3, 2000
Jason,the kit came with races and bearings,Wibby,YIKES!!!!!,i hope it doesn't look like that in there,although i have also just done the swingarm and linkage bearings and some of those were pretty scary too!

wibby

Mod Ban
Mar 15, 2003
Scary huh?

I bought my KDX on ebay, so I could not check it out beforehand, but the seller paid for the new bearing, gave me an old CT 90 bottom end too. And for $900 I think I did all right!

Top Bottom