Steering stem nut 'adjustment'?

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
The service manual lists torque spec for the nut (the spanner-type one) as 'handtight'.

Has anyone experimented with a bit more 'squeeze' on the stem to good (or bad) effect?

Recalling other bikes I've had with adjustable tension on the stem assy, seems to me that a bit more than 'handtight' would be advantageous.

No, dan...I'm not trying to cheep on a steering damper :D

David Trustrum

~SPONSOR~
Jan 25, 2001
The steering head nut is handtight & the one on the triple clamp tightens on top of it. The important thing is the brg races are seated fully, but then you want the front end to fall to one side or the other when off the ground unsupported. Having them too tight will kill the bearings, if they are too tight they may stop rolling & they don’t survive as a plain bearing.

Also the effect is a friction damper which is hard to move at the start & then easy once moving, the opposite of desirable -which is why dampers are hydraulic.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Mr. Trustrum:

What you say is all understood. Still..my question stands. Has anyone noted any improvement with a say, slightly stronger initial pressure upon reassembly.

As is generally true with tapered roller bearings, they are 'installed' if you will overtight, then backed off and snugged again. That's the 'seated fully' part.

What I'm wondering about is the difference between my riding buddy's bike and mine in this area. His frontend has been apart/replaced due to death by drowning. Mine hasn't. His frontend handling is considerably different from mine.

But..that may be his M77 vs: my 756 front tire. I'll know THAT when I put my new M77 on in a couple weeks.

I was kidding about the damper part.........

Last edited:

BRush

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2000
Mine is a tad tighter than "normal". I experimented until it felt comfortable, which for me was about 1/2 turn tighter than hand tight. Less than that felt too loose, but too much more and there is stiction and you can tell the bearings are not happy.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Thanks BRush

That's what I was looking for.

Mine right now is about 90º past 'normal'. The front-end will still 'fall' from side to side pretty good. Doesn't drop like a rock like it did..but still gets there.

I've GOTTA get it apart before this upcoming riding season. Probably have all the lil balls drop on the floor when I take the stem out.

Actually, that's the way the R5/Ds were put together..balls in cups, not races.

Top Bottom