showtime586

Mar 28, 2004
While tearing down my RM's front end for periodic maintenance, I discovered my steering stem will now spin inside the bottom triple clamp. I had a heck of a time removing it from the bike, and I am unsure as to what to do to repair it. The obvious solution is to have it welded back in place, but I was wondering if anybody had any suggestions or had had this happen to them. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

dezryder

Feb 23, 2006
spendy part

Could you take a punch and punch a bunch of dimples (Raise) in the aluminum inside the whole in the bottom triple clamp and then press the stem back in? Or somehow knurl the bottom inch or so of the stem itself to get it some hold?

How about both of the above and some epoxy and then press back in?

You might be able smack the bottom end of the steering stem to render it slightly out of round so it would press back in...but that's a risky one because you could go to far pretty easy.

How about heating the stem and tinning it with some brass and then you could remove just enough to get the press fit you want?

Okay, I'm out of ideas for now.

(I didn't know you could weld aluminum to steel, but if you can...well then...that's the easy street fix.)

showtime586

Mar 28, 2004
Yes, I probably could ping it, but it wouldn't stay secure very long.
As far as welding aluminum to steel, you can't weld ferrous and non ferrous metals together. On this particular bike, the stem and the clamp are both aluminum.

dezryder

Feb 23, 2006
last free idea

Drill a small hole in the back of the bottom tripple clamp
through to the stem, tap it and put an allen set screw in there to hold things.

showtime586

Mar 28, 2004
Sounds like a plan. I had actually thought about tapping the bottom of the stem and threading a bolt in there. That would allow me to tighten everything up without it turning, but it wouldn't prevent the stem from turning inside the bottom clamp. The bottom bearings would be much use with the stem turning.

Top Bottom