Stem bearing races

showtime586

Mar 28, 2004
The bottom bearing on the steering stem was rusted out. I'm guessing the previous owner did not keep the bearing greased. Anyhow, I just picked up my pivot works OEM replacement bearing kit and although the bearing itself looks fine, it does not want to fit inside the old race. I put the old top bearing inside the new race and it does not fit together like it should. I'm guessing that I need to remove the old races as well. I have the bottom race which is rusted soaking in wd-40 to see if I can remove it. Anyone replaced races lately that can give me a few pointers on removal?. It has been eons since I changed out a stem race. Thanks

reelrazor

Jun 22, 2004
Myself, I wouldn't WANT to run a new bearing in an old race. Your replacement bearings are likely a different taper than the old ones. That, or the races were worn differently. You said "previous owner" so hell, who knows what he stuck in there.

Long punch, drive the old race out, install new. Tap all around the circumference of the race so it goes out straight.

Save the old races(at least one). Using a bench grinder, grind a few thousanths off the outer circumference of the race(old one) and use the old ground down race to drive the new race home. DON'T beat directly on a new race. DON'T use the bearing as a race driver either.

YZ165

YZabian
May 4, 2004
Bfh!

showtime586

Mar 28, 2004
These appear to be OEM bearing. I was told (on here) that the integrated lip seal on these bearings allowed moisture by the seal. It collected on the bottm bearing. The fact that the bottom one was rusty in color told me that the race was going to be tough to remove, I may very well need that bfh....lol
Thanks for the tips.....:)

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…