May 29, 2007
I went to tighten the chain on my 87 KX500 and noticed that there is no more room for adjustment. Can I just take a link or two out, or should I replace the chain?

Moose

~SPONSOR~
Sep 16, 2006
You can remove links as needed. Not all chains come specific to a certain bike, you may need to modify it yourself.

Apr 30, 2007
I'd advise getting a new chain, if you haven't got any more room for adjustment, that probably means that the chain is quite worn.

A worn chain also wears out your sprockets a lot faster too. I'd double check to see if they're still okay and not rounded off too badly.

Cutting off a link or two may be a quick fix if you're in a pinch of some sort, but it won't last too long...

Tolle'

May 29, 2007
I'm going to chop the chain for now and get a sprocket set and chain coming soon. With all the chain stretch, I'm suprized the sprockets aren't that bad.

GLeNs

Jun 12, 2007
My last sprocket had some gnarly hooks in it they could cut you, i sorta skimped out on sprockets and chain that time, never again :D. What chain was it btw?

May 29, 2007
The sprockets are SUN STAR, I'm not sure what make of chain it has on it. The chain is gold colored, if that tells you anything. I checked the chain/sprockets and they will need replacement soon.

May 29, 2007
I'm thinking about getting a EK SUPERSPORT 520MVX. It's a sealed chain, with colored side plates. Anybody got any comments on this type of chain?

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Very nice chain. One of the lightest.

Top Bottom