Stewart Brings Two-Race Wins Streak to Indy

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
[img2=left]http://dirtrider.net/news/js_news.jpg[/img2]
AURORA, Ill. (March 20, 2007) – Amp’d Mobile World Supercross GP/Amp’d Mobile AMA Supercross Series returns to Indianapolis’ RCA Dome Saturday, March 24, for the 15th time, featuring the world’s top supercross riders as well as a host of local talent. Last year Amp’d Mobile Supercross enjoyed its second largest crowd in history at the RCA Dome with 56,283 fans on hand to take in one of the season’s best races. The annual event brings a multi-million dollar economic impact to the city of Indianapolis and will be this Sunday on CBS Sports.

A pre-race press conference will be held at the RCA Dome Thursday, March 22, from Noon-2:00 p.m. The riders will be available for interviews and photographs before riding the track. This Saturday’s AMA Supercross class race will air on CBS Sports Sunday, March 25, at Noon EST. The AMA Supercross Lites class race air on SPEED Monday, April 4, at 4:00 a.m. EST.

Another epic weekend is in store for Indianapolis fans as Kawasaki’s James Stewart brings a two-race win streak into the RCA Dome and the Eastern Regional AMA Supercross Lites title is up for grabs. Last weekend Stewart passed Damon Bradshaw on the all-time AMA Supercross class win list with 20. Lites leader Ryan Morais, of Temecula, Calif., holds on to a 78-72 lead over Kawasaki’s Darcy Lange, of Hemet, Calif. Three different riders lites class riders have won main events (Ryan Dungey, Atlanta; Ben Townley, St. Louis and Daytona; Branden Jesseman, Orlando), but have not showed the consistency of Morais.

“Each week I go out and ride a smart race,” said Morais last weekend in Orlando. “I never try anything that is too risky and it seems to work out.”

Stewart, of Haines City, Fla., held off the hard-charging Suzuki of Ricky Carmichael, who hails from Tallahassee, Fla., to win his eighth Amp’d Mobile World Supercross GP/Amp’d Mobile AMA Supercross Series race of the year before 42,991 fans at the Citrus Bowl. Yamaha’s Jesseman, of New Brighton, Pa., won his first AMA Supercross Lites class main event since 2003.

In the AMA Supercross main event, Yamaha’s Chad Reed, of Dade City, Fla., won the $1,500 Progressive Direct Holeshot Award with Carmichael on his wheel in second. Stewart started the main event in fourth place and moved into third on the opening lap where he began chasing Reed. Reed made a mistake on lap three, which allowed Stewart to move into second place.

It wasn’t until lap 12 that Stewart made his way past Carmichael and the two traded positions leaving Stewart in the lead. Carmichael fired back on lap 16 and the two engaged in another battle.

“Even when he passed me, I still felt good,“ said Carmichael, who announced his retirement prior to the start of the season and was making his final race in Orlando. “I lead the wrong part of the race. That was a ride of a lifetime. That’s why we all race and it was so much fun. I am so happy to go out with such a great ride like this. To be a great motorcycle racer is one thing, but I want to be remembered as a great person.”

“That was probably the best race that Ricky and I have ever had,” said Stewart. “Once I passed Chad (Reed), I knew it was going to be a good one. I had a blast out there tonight.”

Honda’s Billy Laninovich, of Lake Elsinore, Calif., earned the $1,000 Progressive Direct Holeshot Award to start the AMA Supercross Lites main event. Jesseman, who won the 2003 Eastern Regional AMA Supercross Lites championship, moved into the lead on lap five and rode the next 10 laps flawlessly on his way to victory.

Kawasaki’s Ben Townley, of Tallahassee, Fla., came into the Orlando race with two wins and sat just six points out of first place. On lap nine he tangled with Laninovich and crashed. He still holds down third place but is 12 points out of first place.

KTM’s Mike Alessi, of Victorville, passed Laninovich for second place on lap 11 but crashed in the turn before the finish line and dropped to fourth place. Morais finished in second. Kawasaki’s Darcy Lange, of Hemet, Calif., finished third.

“I am going to go home and work hard, just as I have all year,” said Jesseman. “This is a huge win for me and my team. I look forward to next weekend in Indianapolis.”

Carmichael won his fifth Amp’d Mobile Supercross race of the season inside the RCA Dome last year. Carmichael, who went on to win his fifth AMA Supercross championship last year, moved into the lead on lap two, and dominated the next 18 laps. The win marked Carmichael’s fourth in Indianapolis history.

In the AMA Supercross Lites class, eventual series champion Davi Millsaps, of Cairo, Ga., picked up his second consecutive win at the RCA Dome. Millsaps and fellow Honda rider Josh Grant, of Riverside, Calif., engaged in a hotly contested race until Grant crashed on lap 10, giving Millsaps the win.

The first AMA Supercross race at the RCA Dome was March 21, 1992, where Honda’s Jeff Stanton won the main event. Yamaha’s Jimmy Button won the first AMA Supercross Lites main event the same evening. Seven-time supercross champion Jeremy McGrath holds the AMA Supercross all-time win record at the RCA Dome with six.

Tickets are available at www.supercrossonline.com, participating Yamaha dealers, all Ticketmaster outlets, Karma Records or by phone at 317-239-5151 for $35, $25 or 10. All tickets are $2 more on the day of the race. Practice and qualifying begins at 12:30 p.m., and racing begins at 7:00.

Top Bottom