Chevalier

Sep 3, 2001
Hi,

I took my forks from my YZ250F apart because they were feeling stiff and had a serious stiction problem, I had them apart yesterday and noticed the oil i took out was almost the colour of engine oil(even though i changed the oil not so long ago!). Thinking this was the problem I replaced the oil and put them back together. No such luck they are still sticky! So i have them apart again and have taken the cartridge out. I noticed the damper rod doesn't fall back into the cartridge when I pull it up then let go-even when the oil is drained. The damper rod seems to have stiction, is this the problem? I have new bushes for the main tube, but don't want to put them all back together and find I still havn't fixed the stiction. Should the damper rod be very free with no stiction? and if so, what needs to be done with it? any other ideas would be welcomed :)
Thanks

shockdoc

May 3, 2001
Unless your cartridge rod is rusted bad I doubt the stiction you feel is from them. Put the new bushings in & make sure your R/S fork is not bound up after installing the frt. wheel.

doc

DEANSFASTWAY

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 16, 2002
I think the cartridge rod is aluminum. Sometimes the cartridgetop bushings blow out or scuff espescially if theres alot of dirt swag in there or the cartridge piston rings are messed up . Marzoccis used to get parts wedged in between the piston and teflon ring and sort of derail causing drag or blow by. Before you totally disassemble that cartridge check it for action or blow by versus the other one. Or like shockdoc said maybe somethings tweaking, SHOCKDOC; I get that same phone call from the guy who installs his forks binding every now and then also. GOOD LUCK

Chevalier

Sep 3, 2001
The damper rods on both the forks felt the same when I first took them apart, so I figured it came like this! I am part way through putting in new bushes, so I'll see if that helps any. Thanks for the replys.

Top Bottom