zeroo

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 31, 2000
Has anybody else had any problems with the RFS throttle sticking?It seem that the cable that returns the slide shut(the one towards the front of bike) is coming out of track and binding in the throttle housing.From what I can see there is no slot other than the housing side to keep it lined up.Maybe the housing is bad,i'll try to replace it to see if thats what it is.Any suggestions?

Mike-200

Aug 22, 2000
Threre is a small plastic clip inside the slide. I would check and make sure the cable is in the groove in the plastic ring. Keep in mind that my bike has a different carb than yours and could be different internally.

James Dean

May 17, 2000
zeroo,

Is there too much slack in the cables? or not enough?

Mike, the RFS uses an FCR carb with a slide that is nothing like a 2-stroke, it has 4 rollers and a pivot arm to lift the slide smoothly with less friction. There are also 2 cables(push/pull), a wheel they attach to, and a cam with linkage for the accelerator pump.

James

KTM400EXC#232

Mar 19, 2001
The problem is the throttle tube is too narrow where the close cable rolls on the tube. If the close cable is too tight it will fall of the edge and down, taking the shorter option. This causes the cable to jam up along the side of the tube and cable support housing. To fix, take tube off and gently file a small track along the shoulder the close cable runs on, in order for the cable to stay up there. The open cable has a guide to keep it place.
Secondly keep the adjustments on the loose side and most importantly dont use excessive force in closing the throttle shut.

zeroo

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 31, 2000
KTM 400,that is an excellant ideal.Didn't have chance yet to talk to dealer to ask how much play should be in the return cable.But I'm thinking it should be snug against the tube,that way it would also stay in the groove that is about to appear there.

Top Bottom