Shawn Mc

Apr 8, 2002
I checked the recommended spring rate at the MXtech site, and they recommend a spring WAY softer than the spring that was recommended by Enzo.

I know both these guys know what they are doing, but Im really curious about the valving requirement and how you can achieve similar feel with such different spring rates.
From what Ive learned via magazines, you need the stiffer springs to prevent the shock from dropping down into the harsher damping positions lower in the stroke which makes sense on it face.

Im trying to wrap my pea brain around the very different approaches to this, and I need help.

Shawn Mc

Apr 8, 2002
I saw that thread but it doesn't address my question, which I'll admit was worded very badly.
My question is to valving. In a general sense, is the valving on an MX Tech style set up "firmer" because of the lighter springs used by someone such as Enzo, who routinely says "you need stiffer springs".
I had my suspension done at Enzo. Ross did a great job, and its definitely better than it was, but I'm very curious about these softer spring rate setups.

Last edited:

KTM-Lew

Jan 26, 2002
The difference is that Jer uses a stiffer/more active midvalve. That in it's self holds the bike up in the stroke while you are moving. Something people don't consider is that ride-height varies even with the same spring-rate depending on valving...static sag and ride-height while moving WILL be different. If the comp was stiff enough, you could get the bike to loose almost all the sag as you are riding, assuming you aren't riding on smooth terrain. If the rebound is stiff enough the bike will get lower as you ride(packing).

Sound right :think:

russ17

Aug 27, 2002
While were on the subject of springs. My question is on progressive spring rates. Lets say you have a 4.3 progressive spring, is that the highest spring rate for that spring ,the middle rate ,or does it start at 4.3 and increase in the rate

shaggy829

~SPONSOR~
May 28, 2001
the generator on mx-tech's site is not specific to thier valving . some shops use stiffer than average rates ,so thay can run lighter valving and gain plushness .however they compromise bottoming resistance by doing that .
shaggy

Top Bottom