pharrell

Mar 3, 2004
I like a stiff suspension for woods racing for speed, but when the going gets slow it is to stiff. Is there a way to soften the slow speed without compromising the fast?

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
What bike do you ride?

For woods riding on tight trails with lots of rocks and roots, IMO you want less high speed compression damping. High speed refers to how fast the suspension has to move when it hits a sharp bump. With less high speed compression damping, the suspesnion will go through more of the stroke, giving you a more plush, less tiring ride. You can still have a controlled ride on jumps and higher speed trails.

Generally, the best way to reduce high speed compression damping is to get the suspension revalved by a competent shop. If you tell us where you live, you might get some good recommendations.

cawkazn

Uhhh...
Jan 22, 2007
i heard that you want to have your suspension as plush as possible without bottoming on the biggest jump you hit. that way you have the softest ride possible but still enough suspension to handle your biggest jumps

pharrell

Mar 3, 2004
dirt bike dave said:
What bike do you ride? I ride an 04 gas gas 300ec. It has had suspension work but I do not know who did it. I live in Northwest Arkansas.

For woods riding on tight trails with lots of rocks and roots, IMO you want less high speed compression damping. High speed refers to how fast the suspension has to move when it hits a sharp bump. With less high speed compression damping, the suspesnion will go through more of the stroke, giving you a more plush, less tiring ride. You can still have a controlled ride on jumps and higher speed trails.

Generally, the best way to reduce high speed compression damping is to get the suspension revalved by a competent shop. If you tell us where you live, you might get some good recommendations.

Top Bottom