Stiffer Fork Springs

kdx200jboy

Mar 5, 2008
I have a 1989 KDX 200 that I am trying to find stiffer fork springs for. I have searched a lot of places and I cant find any for my year or model. Any ideas would be great. Also any tips on changing the springs would be a big help.

kawamaha

Mar 16, 2005
I would call professional suspension tuners (like race tech...)first, I doubt that there are no springs available for your bike.

If nobody could help you there is a chance to cut your springs down to make them stiffer. sounds weird for somebody but works. for that I would need some data und you would need a mechanic who can do this.

WILEECOYOTE

May 9, 2008
Look Here.
Fredette Racing Products / spam killer killed the link. Do a search or see the sticky at the top of the forum.
On the same site he has advice about what springs to use and how to tune the supension.

kdx200jboy

Mar 5, 2008
Thanks. The Fredette Racing Products has the fork springs I needed. Any tips on changing the springs

WILEECOYOTE

May 9, 2008
Sorry.
It is pretty easy, make sure the front wheel is off the ground.
Loosen the upper fork clamps (if these are tight it tends to make getting the caps off a little harder and increases the chance of striping them).
Remove the caps (be carefull here the springs are under a little tension and the caps will kind of pop up).
There should be a preload spacer on top and spring just lifts out.
Install in reverse order.
But check on Fredette's Racing site about getting the preload set.

glad2ride

Jul 4, 2005
Unless you weigh about 80 pounds in full riding gear, the stock springs are way too soft for you. Since they are so soft, cutting them down to make them a little stiffer won't work. You have to get some new ones.

The sticky at the top of the forums leads to a site with a great article on setting preload. Roughly 10mm is common.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…