Still confused on a 520SX vs MXC and EXC

TooOld

Sep 16, 2001
The money is burning a hole in my pocket and I'm itchin to make the dive into a new 520.

I want to race some motocross but I still wanna plunk thru the trails with my friends. Will the MXC suffer on an MX track? I've heard that the suspension of the EXC just won't do the deed on an MX track.

I don't be expecting I'll be doing triples but I do see a few doubles and lots of table tops.

I like the specs on the new SX models but I don't wanna suffer when I'm just trailing around with my friends.

Can an MXC or an EXC be competitive on a motocross track?

Any and all advice is welcome!

-pat-

HGilliam

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 20, 2000
Go buy the MXC and a small tank and shrouds to use on the MX track. Best "Do all" model they make if some of what you "do" is on the MX track. If how you say you ride is accurate, you won't miss the big forks of the SX nearly as much as you will love the extra 2 gears and the E button.

Have fun:)

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
I'm sure if the suspension on the MXC/EXC were to come up short of what you need a trip to MX-Tech would cure it's ills pretty quickly. There are others that can do suspension mods also but IMO not as well. If the money was burning a hole in my pocket I'd go MXC/EXC that way your closer to something that can be made "street legal" as well.:)

Adam 982

Mar 29, 2001

the 520SX has a lighting coil also tho so it can be done pretty cheap on them too! :) the only RFS that doesnt have a lighting coil is the 400SX..

My advice is go with the MXC.. same 1st 4 gear ratios as the SX and another 2 for CRUISIN! 103MPH with stock gearing :scream: the Happy-Button is a gift from god too!

Tiger

~SPONSOR~
Aug 21, 2000
KTM MXC vs EXC...

Adam,
After riding 2001 400 EXC vs MXC back to back (our family has one of each) I can tell you the difference is minor. The suspension, frame, motor, and wheels (18" rears are less prone to flats than the 19") are identical. If you are a big boy (> 200#'s like me) then just upgrade to stiffer springs. I did and that is the only mod I felt it needed. I'm comparing it to my 2000 YZ 250 (FYI). Need further proof? Read cycle news and the fact that Guy Cooper borrowed a 520 EXC from Watts and dogged Doug Dubach the entire VET Championship race last weekend. Don't worry about the bike. It's only limit is going to be our riding ability! Good luck. Great bike.

Paul

Adam 982

Mar 29, 2001
520SX

Yes the 520SX does have a lighting coil....

Tiger.. i am a big boy (5'10" 200lbs) and ride a 380SX myself.. hopefully ill get a 520 in the next few years but i'll probably buy one used in the future.. im focusing on getting a 250F in the next few weeks ;)

"Speed is 95% Rider, 5% Bike..... Better make that 5% Count!" ~ Forward Motion (Eric Gorr)

TooOld

Sep 16, 2001
Motocross a 520MXC

Originally posted by Tiger
Adam,
After riding 2001 400 EXC vs MXC back to back (our family has one of each) I can tell you the difference is minor
Paul

Actually, I'm looking more for a close-up on the SX versus the MXC. I've already ruled out the EXC. I wanna do some plunking around, a few hare scrambles, but mostly motocross. Nothing serious like 500 foot triples but surely a double or two with lots of table tops.

So I guess my question is....where will i be penalized the most?
A. in the woods because I bought the SX or....
B. on the mx track because I bought the MXC

in other words... how much worse off will I be on a motocross track if I bought the MXC? With the new 48mm forks and suspension of the SX, will there be a noticeable difference when jumping or cornering? Is the disadvantage of using an MXC big enough that I would regret not having the SX??

-pat-

Shaw520

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 14, 2000
Too Old, the question you are asking is too tightly realted to your personal prefference, in other words; if you like stiff suspension and ride aggressive in the woods, the the SX may suit you fine. Whereas, if you like to play MX on the track without the need to clear doubles/triples then maybe the MCX will suit you fine. Just go buy one and make the 'as per' adjustment necessary!!

Tiger

~SPONSOR~
Aug 21, 2000
MXC vs SX

He's right you know. The suspension is easy to tweak later. It isn't like you'll be at the Pontiac Silverdome or anything.

I bought the MXc because of 3 things...
1. It has a 6 speed transmission (SX has 4)
2. An MXC has all the extras standard (Electric start, spark arrestor, Bigger tank, lighting coils, 18 inch rear wheel, a great kickstand, etc...)
3. The engine and frames are identical.

Good luck in your decision!

Motus

Dec 4, 2000
Pat how are ya? I met you in the woods when you were picking up Lynn's old bike. You still had your back brace on. I was the one with the new 520MXC. Anyway, I ride mine at Rio, Highlands, Mills, New Waverly and raced 4stroke C in TCHSS. I absolutely love it everywhere. I do notice the BIG tank at times, but it will be nice not to have to pit next year in the 2 hour races. (Moving up to 4stroke A) I weigh in right at 200#s with gear and still have stock springs front and back. Ive used it all up at times at Mills and Highlands and some of the whoops in the woods, but overall it is good everywhere. I will be respringing and revalving in the future though. As for the 6 speed all I can say is that I needed it at a few of the harescrambles. (74mph straight at Orange) The majic button is great to have on the occasional stall or fall and to razz your buds that continually stall their YZFs. I kick start mine at the dead engine races because it starts 1st kick almost always and its hard to feel and hear with the button when everyone else is starting too. You will also need to buy a spark arrestor if you plan on riding the Nat'l forest if you get the SX. If I were to buy another 520 it would probably be the MXC again. Like most others who have posted I think that you would be happy with either one that you choose. The new SX suspension with a 6 speed tranny does sound appealing though. Good luck. Later,
Steve

Tiger

~SPONSOR~
Aug 21, 2000
KTM Jack Rabbit start trick...

Steve/Pat,
Here's a little advice that has worked for me. Move the E-start button from the right to the LEFT side of the bars. Close to the grip, so you can reach it with your thumb even with the clutch pulled in. You'll have to flip it over and re route around the front number plate. It's worth it. I've holeshot most of the B 4-Stroke Hare Scrambles this year. I hit the button with my left hand BEFORE I'm even on the motorcycle. If you get on from the left side it works.
After a week or so you'll wonder why they put it on the right side at all.

Good Luck.

Paul

Top Bottom