(Still) Looking for OCEMN needle

GeoffStahl

Nov 28, 2001
Yes, it is true. I am still looking for an OCEMN needle (and an #48 pilot for that matter).

I have contacted the usual suspects (Sudco, Carb Parts, Holeshot, Cycle Hutt, Mike Kruger, etc.) with absolutely no luck. My local shop had/has one on order. It was thought to be in stock at Sudco but when ordered was out of stock with a questionable ETA (2 weeks to 2 months is the best guess from most folks).

I have also tried to find an OB/CELN needle (Yamaha 250F stock needle, Yamaha part 5NL-14916-EN-00 if anyone cares) but had no local dealers which have any. I may order one but would rather get the EMN.

The 400 EXC-G is a awesome bike. Runs really hot with stock carb set up which pushes me to do the change sooner than later.

Any help would be great. Email: gstahl 'at' apple.com

James Dean

May 17, 2000
OCEMN options

Needle OBEKN is EXACTLY the same if you set the clip 1 position leaner than OCEMN.

EMN#5=EKN#4
EMN#4=EKN#3
EMN#3=EKN#2

The advantage of the OB needle is that it is hard coated whereas the OC needle is made from brass. This will be more durable.

Yamaha part #5JG-14916-EN

Still, this will be a special order.

See: www.JDJetting.com and look at the third example for the change you are making to needle taper.

James

GeoffStahl

Nov 28, 2001
Ah, now I am understanding

Thanks James...

I now see the EKN -> ELN -> EMN clip position relationship. I am off to find one...

BTW, your jetting guide is an invaluable tool to understanding FCR jetting, I just should have looked at it more closely in the first place.

GeoffStahl

Nov 28, 2001
Update

Just an update. Got the OBELN from a local Yamaha dealer for $11.00 + tax (with no shipping of course). The OBEKN is back ordered to Yamaha with no ETA. Everything installed beautifully, now just need to run it. James Dean's jetting chart was a huge help and if I had looked carefully, he has the Yamaha part numbers on it. Also, to reiterate the Yamaha part print out maybe wrong and call the EKN an EVN. The part numbers of interest are:

5JG-14916-EN => OBEKN
5NL-14916-EN => OBELN

For anyone's use I have pics of the FCR carb on the web at:
<http://homepage.mac.com/gstahl/FCRCarb/index.html>

Last note. My 400EXC-G came with a #48 pilot.

Top Bottom