Jan 10, 2001
I wrote a while back about the lost of all my power from midrange on up on my 98 220. I was told that maybe the powervalve has quit working. Just to make sure I have gone through the carb cleaned and inspected everything, cleaned filter, and changed spark plug. I checked the reeds, cleaned them up, they are in great condition. I still have no power from midrange on up. So now that I have ruled out all those, I guess its time to finally break into the engine department. I guess I need to find out if the KIPS is the problem since it opens up and controls the power from about mid up. This will be the first time I will be working on the KIPs, what are some signs of problems that I can look for? Any suggestions are very much welcomed.

Thanks.

------------------
SandRooster220

1998 Kawasaki KDX 220
FMF Powered
Renthal Supplied

[This message has been edited by SandRooster220 (edited 04-17-2001).]

spanky250

Mod Ban
Dec 10, 2000
Broken governor shafts seem to be a common problem on KDX's. pull the little cover off the power valve acctuator and rev the engine to see if the assembly moves.

------------------
1992 KDX 250-FMF porting,two-stage power reeds, Fatty pipe, Power Core silencer,titanium rod,Wiseco Ultra-lite, Pro-Action suspension...Oh my Gawd, they killed Kenny!

jaguar

~SPONSOR~
Jul 29, 2000
South America
could be the crankshaft seals letting air/gas blow by thus reducing crank pressure. On my bike I need to replace those seals and as the months drag by (waiting for the parts to import) the top end gets worse and worse. bottom end is still fairly good though. take off the ignition cover and see if theres oily stuff in there. that indicates the seal is blown on that side.

------------------
KIPS repair from manual: http://www.ioa.com/~dragonfly/moto/kips.html
my sweetheart: '89 KDX200 SR

Jan 10, 2001
I just took the cover off the advancer shaft lever to see if the lever would move. Well I reved the engine and the lever moved, but just barely, I noticed that the teeth would move on it, but it would not turn the teeth on the KIPs shaft. Could this be due to a carbon build up causing it to stick? I looked up the exhaust ports when I took the pipe off, and noticed a lot of carbon build up. Does this mean I will have to completely disassemble the topend to look at the KIPs and clean it out? Or is it something wrong with the advancer shaft that is not making it turn enough?

Thanks for all the help.

------------------
SandRooster220

1998 Kawasaki KDX 220
FMF Powered
Renthal Supplied

agitt73

~SPONSOR~
May 11, 2000
while you have her apart put new piston and
rings in her
also i have this prob on my it 250
i put a timing light on and the
cdi is not advancing properly so i
need a new cdi

------------------
2000 kdx200 2000ktm 50sxpro jr
1983it250
alexis il

jaguar

~SPONSOR~
Jul 29, 2000
South America
take off the lever (held on by a left handed threaded nut) and see if the KIPS actuator can be moved in and out by hand. If not, or its very sticky then you need to dissassemble all and clean.
before that though, with the lever still off, start the bike and rev the engine while holding the shaft (that comes up from the right side of the transmission) and see if the shaft turns when at high revs (>6000rpm). If it doesn't move much then probably the lever inside there (close to the right crank) is broke off and laying on the bottom of your right engine cover.

------------------
KIPS repair from manual: http://www.ioa.com/~dragonfly/moto/kips.html
my sweetheart: '89 KDX200 SR

Canadian Dave

Super Power AssClown
Apr 28, 1999
Good advice Jag,

I'd remove the LEFT-HAND THREAD nut from the top of the KIPS shaft. Take note of how its timed before removing it! Support the shaft when removing and installing the nut or you can damage the shaft and be sure follow your manuals torque recommendations when reinstalling the nut.

With the nut off and the sector removed from on top the shaft rotate the horizontal KIPS shaft running into the cylinder by hand. It is binding or its it fairly smooth? Now gently rotate the KIPS shaft running into the case by hand. Try to determine if its still intact or if or there's a chance its snapped off at the btm. If your feel it may be snapped stop running the bike until you replace the shaft and have found all the parts. By what you are saying I'd be suspicious that the shaft is snapped.

David

------------------
Let's bust big . . . I don't think so. Let's bust bark! Now you're talking!

www.justkdx.dirtrider.net

Cal-KDXer

Jul 18, 2001
How hard to rotate should the adv....

How much force should it take to naormally rotate the shaft coming out of the case on a 98 kdx200?

David Trustrum

~SPONSOR~
Jan 25, 2001
The KIPS valves are a wonder of engineering. Sadly if you don’t take them apart to clean them they will gunk up, seize & strip the gears on the top.

Preventative maintenance is the only way they will survive. It amazes me people will fork out big bucks for a pipe or all singing dancing reed blocks but won’t spend the time (or money at the shop) to pull these things apart to clean them.

Just speaking with some guys recently & it’s “motorcycles only get worked on when they break”. False economy.

Dig in, it’s easy & you may even enjoy the satisfaction of doing it

Top Bottom