Tyler3386

Jul 25, 2005
Ive been lurking around on here for a couple weeks trying to decide if I should get a bike and obviously which one. I'm 6' 170 lbs and 19 yrs old. I'll be mostly playing around in the trails, maybe on some local tracks but nothing too great. I'm a pretty aggressive rider, coming from a sport quad. I'm decent on the mechanical side, I think I could throw a piston in a 2 stroke but valve adjustments scare me. I'd be spending up to or around 3 grand as that is about what my quad is worth.

I've ridden a couple cr 125s(01 and 02 I believe) and liked them pretty well. The power is ok but I'm worried I would outgrow it and also about the shorter parts life compared to a 250. Are the other 125s much different?

I've test ridden a 250(two stroke) and it felt good. My worries there are the extra weight vs the 125 and if it would be too much bike.

I'm somewhat interested in a 250f but the maintenance scares me. I dont mind working on stuff but the maintenance schedule seems crazy. Are the wr and 250x better for maintenance? Are they mildly mxable?

Another bike Ive thought about would be the yz400/426. The problem there is I dont want a bike that needs 500 sunk in the engine because I'd be looking at an older high performance 4 stroke. Also weight is a concern although I've ridden one and it wasnt terrible. Are there certain years to avoid/go after for these bikes?

KTM's seem to be hard to find in my area and I dont know of a dealer. The 200 sounds like a good choice for me though.

Thanks for reading my long post, Ive put alot of thought into this since I've been riding quads for 5 years. Any input would be appreciated.

04kdx200

Mar 30, 2005
A used KTM 200exc or a KTM 200sx, or a fairly new KDX 200/220 , you can incorporate KX forks, and a better shock into the KDX's. A lot of help on the KDX forum. Good Luck finding a bike!

SirHilton17

Aug 6, 2005
If you do get a 125 dont get a CR!!! get a YZ!!!!

The maitnece is not a hole ton on the 250Fs
But mostly depending on how you treat it... cause if you never reved it over say 4000 RPM it would probly last like 20 years ... but if you ride it on the rev limiter (like i do) you could probly get a year or more on em

Get a 250F or a 250 2stroke yul me glad u did

But you can buy my 125 if you want :ride:

Top Bottom