DavTys

Jun 29, 2001
I think this is the right place to post ride reports, if not, someone please let me know where to post and I'll do better next time!
My son and I rode our first ever Enduro this past weekend in Stillwater, OK. We've both only been riding since about May but all our riding buds said we should really try one!! So we did!! Even though the race started at 8:01am it was still hot! Afternoon temps were around 100 deg!! I entered the Beginners class and put my son (15) in the Jr. open. We both were on row 44. We started off and everything was going really good til about 10 miles into the trail. He's riding hard and his throttle sticks wide open! Finally get him going again and I'm coming around a sharp turn between 2 trees, I pull the clutch in and bam, the clutch level snaps! (Never buy cheap stuff!!) I was low on money so bought cheap plastic ones - That will never happen again! So, I'm in the middle of nowhere and no way to use the clutch. So I'm trying to roll the bike enough to get it into first without killing it. Going up hill, that is almost impossible!! So by the first check point I was worn out and mad. My son was still at the check point so I took his front brake lever off and used it for my clutch! Didn't quite fit right but it worked, so off I went! I was so tired already I didn't do very good in the first test section. Got into the second test section and I hit a tree and bam, there went my front brake lever!! No biggie there, but I like using it for sudden stops and turns!! I ended up dumping the bike at least 5 times during the race. Man was I worn out! I'm no spring chicken, I'll be 40 next month!! I was pretty proud of my first race. I didn't hang around much after I saw I wasn't going to win. I believe in my class I took 2nd place, but I was the ONLY pre-registered rider so they only bought one plaque!
I lost that by 1:45!! It was a good experience and a very tough track in my opinion. My son was doing really good. He had to do two laps (20 mile laps). I came out after my race was over and expected him to be getting ready to go on his second lap, when he flags me over and says look at my bike tire!! He must have hit something hard cause all but 2 or 3 spokes on his rear tire were broken and the wheel was just barely hanging on, plus the tube was punctured numerous times and the tire was eaten up pretty good!! we asked if he could finish on my bike, but they said you have to end on the same bike you started so he was finished and had to DNF!! He was upset, but learned alot also!! All in all it was a good race, and I learned alot, like always buy good levers and make sure EVERY aspect of your bike is in good shape and for sure buy handguards with alum. inserts!!! I personally thought 20 miles on that tough a trail for beginner class was a little hard, but I have no complaints. I learned alot and had fun!!! That's all!!!:)

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
I'll move it to the Ride report sub-forum of the general forum for ya.

I've learned many of the same lessons riding enduros and hare scrambles. Personally, I (still) now prefer MX. If you make a mistake in an enduro or something breaks, you've ruined your whole day. In MX, you usually have 4 chances to get at least one moto you're happy about (when running 2 classes).

I've never houred out of an enduro, but I DNF'd my sixth (and probably last) one when a radiator clamp cut loose on me. Besides, I'm in it for the air! :eek:

DavTys

Jun 29, 2001
Thanks for moving it for me. I knew there was a place to post this type!!
I like air, but our track is built more like a SuperCross track and frankly I don't have the guts to hit these jumps hard enough to do really good in a MX race here, so I've stuck to the trails!! I'd love to try a true MX track some time though!!! Yea, if you try to carry all the possible parts in your belly bag for Enduros or Hares, then it would be way too big and heavy! I can live without a front brake for those but just gotta have that clutch!!!

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
How did it break with Bark Busters on? I always make sure that my levers don't extend beyond the ends of the bars or outside the BBs.

DavTys

Jun 29, 2001
I didn't have anything at the time of the race!! No handguards (barkbusters) or nothing!! Just plain bars and grips and levers!! I meant that I will not ride without them again!!! Lesson well learned!!!

justql

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 23, 2000
Both you and your son did well. Mechanical problems are a big part of enduros. Don't let it get you down imagine how much fun it would've been without the heat.:think
We did want to test you guys, but I was a little surprised how tough the trail was. I agree it was probably a little much for beginners/youth/women. The problem was the number of workers we had made it tough to split you guys off.

DavTys

Jun 29, 2001
I love a good challenge. It seems any time you try something new it's alot harder than you think. I'm not complaining. I learned alot!! I'll do alot better on my next one and I'll make sure all the right equip. and bikes are up to the race!! Sorry you didn't have enough workers. Isn't there another race coming to Stillwater?? What is it a MX or what? I can always come down and help if I'm not racing in it. I'll probably stick to enduros for awhile before trying anything else. You guys did a great job I think! Trails were tough for some of us but you can't get better unless you try them!!! Good job to all of you!!! Let me know if I can ever help!!

Smitty

Alowishus Devadander
Nov 10, 1999
Different format, but OCCRA has another half of the season to go and it’s all in state. In fact Stillwater is coming up this fall. Check out the schedule and come check out a few races. You would only race the 1.5 hour race and the trail is usually more open but much rougher.

http://www.occra.com

Top Bottom