KXaggerator

~SPONSOR~
Feb 4, 2001
I have an old buddy helmet that I I let my friends use that don't have gear. The problem is that I washed the liner and it mildewed. That was two years ago and it still smells. The liner is non-removable. Any ideas?

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
^^^^^LOL~^^^^^

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
Pro Clean helmet deodorizer

bizzow

~SPONSOR~
Nov 19, 2000
Cheap way...shampoo. It will not get rid of all the mildew residue, but it will make it smell a whole lot better and cleans fairly well, and rinses silky clean. Then just set the helmet over a floor vent to dry.

jcramin

~SPONSOR~
Aug 14, 2002
Drier Sheet. I keep a drier sheet in each of my many helmets. Just dont forget to pull it out when you ride or youe head will smell DOWNEY FRESH.

J

Earthpilot

~SPONSOR~
Jul 22, 2002
I would recommend washing the helmet out with soap or shampoo, then place the helmet on the top of an outside a/c condensor unit, and run the
unit for about 2 hours. The "dehumidified" air totally dries the inside of the
helmet and leaves it smelling like new... then maintain the helmet liner
with ProClean Helmet Renew. This will keep the helmet deodorized, disinfected, and clean....Use this method and the helmet will stay like
new inside for a long long time! :thumb:

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
I don't think the air circulating through an outside condenser unit is "dehumidified". Isn't it simply the outside air taking the heat out of the coils generated in the compression stage, at whatever level of humidity that may be.

Lew

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 27, 2001
Originally posted by RoosteR13
I don't think the air circulating through an outside condenser unit is "dehumidified". Isn't it simply the outside air taking the heat out of the coils generated in the compression stage, at whatever level of humidity that may be.

Correct!! The airflow however would certainly help dry the liner

Last edited:

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Why don't you wash it again in a mild bleach solution. Like 1/2 cup of bleach to 1 gallon of water. Get it in there good and leave it in for about 10 minutes, then get it real dry. That should kill the mildew.

Apr 12, 2000
Man, that is no MILD solution. One or two tablespoons to a gallon at most. More will eat the material right out.
Besides, buddies that have to borrow helments, should have to live with the consequences. GAGHg :yeehaw:

Top Bottom