150rguy

I got fat bars!
Dec 21, 2006
I was just wondering how many people have stock suspension and how many people have had suspension places do things to youur's. I'm thinking about getting a revalve and want to know if it is worth the $300 or $400 bucks. And if you do, who did you have do it?

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
I had mine modified over the winter. I'm not particularly impressed at this point, but it's possible that it's still not adjusted right.

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
dialing in the adjustments is a big part of it, stock or worked on.
Sixds, why only the rear? front and rear are both pretty darned important.

Matt 193

Dec 22, 2006
I stuck with the stock stuff and played with the clickers. I hope to get a new bike soon so 95% of my money is headed to the new bike fund.

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
Papakeith said:
dialing in the adjustments is a big part of it, stock or worked on.

I understand. . . I'm working on it, but the suspension is bottoming way too easy after the work and my testing shows that 8 clicks of compression hasn't resolved that problem. I broke my wrist because the suspension bottomed too easily before the work, and the problem still isn't fixed.

Anyway, I can't get any tech support from the suspension guy because of a dispute over the original order and a related order for parts.

I'm thinking/hoping that more or heavier oil might help.

sixds

Mar 25, 2007
"dialing in the adjustments is a big part of it, stock or worked on.
Sixds, why only the rear? front and rear are both pretty darned important."

I just can't afford it,

150rguy

I got fat bars!
Dec 21, 2006
sixds said:
"

I just can't afford it,
What do you mean? you don't even have a bike.

patto3

Apr 8, 2006
robwbright said:
I'm thinking/hoping that more or heavier oil might help.

That should actually help you a fair bit.

As for my suspension, it's stock, but I've had a decent fiddle with it, to the point where I'm pretty happy with it.

What does a shop or service ACTUALLY do when they "set up" your suspension?
Wht can they do that I can't?

May 5, 2007
patto3 said:
That should actually help you a fair bit.

As for my suspension, it's stock, but I've had a decent fiddle with it, to the point where I'm pretty happy with it.

Thats a good question...

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
patto3 said:

Realistically the short answer is nothing. The long answer is when we pay a shop for getting the suspension tuned we are paying for their years of experience learning the correct valving to adjust etc. In the end I may stumble across a good setup over time just like a blind squirrel finds the odd nut, but I'd rather imporve my odds and shorten the time we spend searching for a good setup.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
The single most important factor in racing at high speeds,whoops and jumps. A middle c rider will not tell the difference between revalved and just set for them. The stock valving can be adjusted by shims,the modified gets this also. Oil viscosity and springs can be done by the average person,but are not going to get the same result. How your wheels track over rough terrain,corner and land jumps boils down to your safety! Box that stuff up and send it to Wilky! I do not recommend mb1 or bob from renagade in Michigan!

150rguy

I got fat bars!
Dec 21, 2006
I had DeVol set up my suspension this weekend and the dude talked me into letting him rebuld the forks or something and then set it up. But the suspenson felt SO much better after that.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Just changing the oils and gas in the rear shock makes a difference! Check your service interval suggestions in the manual. I believe new suspenders trash the oil in hours,they brake in also. Back in the day they were shipped with seemingly fish oil in them. Trackside support is a definite plus!

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
Had MDK in San Jose CA set up my susp. Front/rear springs and some revalving. Made a nice difference, I was bottoming out alot before, now I am always adjusting the clickers.

YZ165

YZabian
May 4, 2004
In my opinion, the suspension should be the first change you make to any stock bike. Although the big 5 are getting much better in this dept., it's still the biggest bang you can get for your buck. Sure you could bolt on a loud ass pipe and gain 3hp.....but do you need it? I don't, but I do need the confidence that comes with great suspension.

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
Anyone who cares about riding fast at all should have their suspension set up for their weight/riding ability. Sometimes the stock valving is best, other times it's not. My 01 EC200 had a complete revalve done and I love it. My 07 EC250 is just getting stiffer fork springs and an oil change because the valving is already good enough. Talk to a suspension tuner, these guys know their stuff. And if they don't, find a new suspension tuner.

Top Bottom