Stock Pipe - How Rock Proof is it? Pipe Guard install?

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
I am in the process of setting up the 99 KDX I just got for my son. We are planning a trip to West Virginia in a few weeks and given that will be first real ride my kid will have on it (the KDX is a huge step up for my son), I am assuming the bike will be dropped - of course right on some of them WV rocks!

How "rock proof" is the stock pipe? I have found pipes such as FMF etc (even the Gnarly) will dent fairly easily, but this KDX pipe is double walled or something isnt it? Is a pipe guard a waste of effort - or would you guys recommend using one? I happen to have a spare one already (one of those aluminum ones) so cost is not an issue.

If the suggestion is to run the pipe guard - it occured to me that the finish on the pipe is not your run of the mill paint. Pipe guards always seem to mess up the finish on a pipe - it wont be so easy to return the pipe to its nice looking finish. Suggestions to install such it wont mess up the finish appreciated as well . (I am thinking of some sort of rubber spacer?) or actually I should just not worry about it and use the stupid thing!

BRYDEN1

Sep 22, 2003
The stock pipe is double walled up until about a third of the way up the expansion chamber. It is very tough in the high impact areas(behind the front tire and the leading edge of the lower expansion chamber). I had a few dents in mine in the upper chamber from laying it down in rock fields, but I haven't seen any aftermarket guards that offer any protection for the upper chamber. When I upgraded to a GNARLY, I fabbed my own guard out of fiberglass that offers total coverage. Bottom line,I would use and abuse the stocker and when it's time upgrade the pipe and buy or fab a guard. :cool:

John Harris

Apr 15, 2002
I am of the same persusason. Use the stock one until you are ready to replace it for performance (or looks) reasons. I have banged mine around in the Rockies and locally and yes have a few marks on it, but nothing to keep it from performing any worse than it comes from the factory. It is double walled and will take a lot of abuse and you don't have the cost or weight of a guard. Yes, you will need the guard on an after market single wall pipe. In any case don't forget the skid plate!

css_elfers

Aug 26, 2004
If you do happen to mess it up I think there are plenty of people here (includeing myself) who still have their stock pipe hanging on the shop wall that you could get.

ELF

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
Thanks for the responses guys. When I bought the bike it came with 3 pipes - stock, FMF Burly Rev, FMF Fatty Torque. I plan to stick with the stock pipe until my son grows more experienced with the bike. Then we can play with pipe and silencer combos (it came with stock silencer and a FMF TCII silencer) The pipe guard issue only came up because I happen to have one sitting here (it came on one of the FMF pipes.)

What I ended up concluding is that either the pipe will inevitably be dented, or if I run a guard, the finish marred up. Either way, I have a less than perfect pipe. Mars in the paint dont affect performance or usability. Dents do. So I decided to install the guard.

Oh Bryden commented about guards not extending far enough up the pipe - this is easily cured by using a small separate section from a second guard. (and I just so happen to have a 6" chunk from a guard that got ripped off my KTM in a race last summer!)

thanks again!

Top Bottom