Neilspen

Sep 13, 2001
I have a 2001 honda cr 250 and i was at the dealer the other day and was asking about pistons. He said that the stock pistons were better than the wiseco. I was wondering if anyone could give me some feedback on this issue or if anyone had tried both.

IrishEKU

A General PITA.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 21, 2002
Any dealer would. If you got the chance to see the MSRP with out the dealer markup you would be really suprised. Go with the Weisco and save about 20 bucks.

Phillip

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
I like my weisco piston just fine. As mentioned earlier, it is cheaper than oem dealer stuff. I do notice aslightly longer warm-up, but the bike has much less engine noise with the Weisco. I will continue to use weisco if/when this one wears out.

RM_Dude

Jul 16, 2001
I prefer Wiseco over stock.
Less engine noise, less likely to explode if you don't change it often.
Only downside is Wiseco must be allowed extra warm up time or risk cold siezure.

Buzz Bomb

May 9, 2000
One of the few complaints about the CR250 was that the piston ring locator pins could break off and ruin the top end. Eric Gorr specified the use of a "more durable" Wiseco piston to fix the problem. I never had any probs with my stock piston, but I used a Wiseco when I did the top-end anyway. They last a long time and have worked well for me.

dkortje

Sponsoring Member
Aug 30, 2002
I used to use Wiseco, but found that they seized way more frequently. I just use stock now (Yamaha) and have not had a seizure. I have been told Wiseco are much more prone to this. Any thoughts?

Buzz Bomb

May 9, 2000
If you seize your pistons "frequently" you either have lean jetting, a dirt in your carb, or too little piston/cylinder clearance. Also check for an air leak. My bet is that you aren't breaking in the pistons correctly because forged ones require more careful break-in procedures.

john stu

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 7, 2002
i have been using wiseco pistons seince 1987 in all my bikes, i ride 2 times a week on average and am hard on my bikes (i love to clutch it don't you!)and have NEVER seized a bike with a wiseco piston installed, and as soon as the stock one wears out i have always put in wiseco and to be honest with you i probuly wait too long between top ends i have owned almost every kind of bike from an 81 rm125,2000yz426,to a 2002cr250 stoct pistons may be very good an i might have had the same luck with stock but i will always trust a wiseco i don't know if its the wiseco piston that makes them last so long or the fact that i always break them in very carfuly and keep my airfilter cleaned every ride (i also always used honda hp2 premix) and i don't care but i wouldn't change a thing. as a matter of fact the only bike i ever seized was my 82 rm witch had a stock piston in it.

ps no i dont work for wiseco nor do i owen stock i have just had good luck with them lol

john stu

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 7, 2002
oo and buy the way i ALWAYS let my bike warm up thoughly at idle (3-4 min)(and no if you bike is jetted correctly it won't foul a plug) before reving the engine to clean it out i think this really makes a diferance in engine life

dirtybkr

Mar 17, 2000
I too was sceptical about using a weisco piston in my 01 cr250, but after 15 harescrambles and some play riding, the bike still runs great.

AS an added bonus the weisco kit,piston,rings cir clips,and bearing, are 31 grams lighter than the stock setup.

Top Bottom