Stock silencer better than FMF shorty!

OverheatedR

Jan 10, 2006
Well I was bored today so I went out testing my silencer's on my 06 yz125. I just seem to love the power delevery soo much more of the stock silencer than I do with my titanium2 shorty. The shorty doesn't revv out at all and I find myself often losing track time finding the right gear to be in because I have to constantly either gear down or up because I don't have enough power and/or not enough revvs for the bike to keep pulling through the gear. With the stocker silencer I can run a gear lower with the same topend I'd have running a gear higher with the shorty but obviously with wayy better lowend. The power is also wayy smoother and more predictable with the stock silencer. It just seems that the lowend gain with the shorty isn't even worth it and the broader power is wayy nicer with the longer silencer and is alot similar to the 250f's delivery in alot of ways. I can do easy 1st gear starts now and not have to worry about revving out too soon but still have the same lowend power you get in 1st. I'm thinking of trading my ti2 shorty for a longer silencer like a powercore2, so if anyone wants to trade lemme know! BTW I used both silencers on an FMF factory fatty. Please post your thoughts and opinions on this. :bang:

xr100ider

Jan 31, 2003
i've heard about things like this a few times before. for example, i know that Mike Larocco used to run a stock pipe and silencer on his bikes and the mechanics just stripped off the paint to make it look more factory i guess. I'm pretty sure Transworld did a test and found the same thing on the 02-04 CR250's.

NM_KDX200

Dec 29, 2002
I have a "Factory Sound" shorty for my KX125 but I run the stocker a lot. The stock silencer is quieter, pulls better down low, and revs a little slower. It's better on a slick dry track. If traction is there, I'm faster with the shorty. I'd like to try a longer FMF, too.

Top Bottom