harryhuia

Nov 7, 2003
Hi there. I have a stock 95 kdx200, with no air box lid.

I was pricing out new pipes with my local kawasaki dealer and he said that on a kdx, a new silencer would make the most difference to power because the stock one is so restricting. He also suggested modifying the stock silencer to make it less restriciting. Correct me if i'm wrong but isn't the spark arrestor the most restricting part of a silencer? and because i never ride in the woods, (only on our farm), I thought i could cut open the silencer and gut the part which is the spark arrestor, then weld it back up. I don't mind my bike being louder, and hope fully would make my exhaust more free flowing. Because with the airbox lid off, i can feel the bike struggling to expell exhaust gases at high Rpm.
What do you guys think? I wanted an opinion before I cut it in half.
Thanks for your input.

m0rie

Nov 18, 2002
Stock silencer on the KDX isn't the limiting factor. The stock pipe is however a boat anchor and replacing it will give you a healthy boost in performance.

harryhuia

Nov 7, 2003
Ok, thanks guys. So should I gut my pipe instead? On the just kdx site the pipe mod is for E model pipes. Is the end result and the instructions still the same for H model pipes?

Last edited:

KDXdog

May 4, 2005
Do you live on a dirt farm? No grass? Do not remove the spark arrestor, they are there for a reason. Please search the site about pipes, silencers, etc. Your dealer's oppinion does not jive with most here. Good luck!

StuckinJersey

May 11, 2005
Seems like he picked out the words that agreed with his original idea.
I guess that fits under "Hey it's just my advice, take what you want
from it." Literally.

harryhuia

Nov 7, 2003
The stock pipe (as i found out from searching!!) has perferated steel in it and a layer of fiberglass!
This morning I cut a hole in my pipe and removed all this so it is just a straight pipe. It was also a good time to clean the spooch out and remove dents!

Green Hornet

Apr 2, 2005
Just a warning. When ever you alter/modify an exhaust that has been approved by the EPA, YOU COULD be fined if someone were to really check. So stay out of the woods where Rangers a present alot.

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
If he keeps the stock muffler the rangers have no reason to check.

harryhuia

Nov 7, 2003
yeah i've taken the perferated steel and fibre glass out of my pipe and i'm keeping the silencer as it is. All i have to do now is weld my pipe back together. Can't wait! :)

layoutd

May 17, 2004
he lives in New Zealand, there is no EPA there, he can point a large middle finger at the EPA and laugh. Oh and i work for the EPA.
Not Sure what removing all that stuff from the pipe did, other than make it louder. you should look into a new pipe with different geomoetry that help the bike perform at different rpm according to your taste.

harryhuia

Nov 7, 2003
Yeah we don't hav to worry about rangers in NZ.
I was looking at pc pipes but i don't really want to spend the money so thats why im taking my chances with the stock pipe, rejet acordingly and hope for good results.

Red_Chili

Nov 30, 2005
The only thing I can figure is, by 'pipe' he really means 'silencer'.
Since there is no screen or anything else in the 'pipe'.
I guess there are no complaining neighbors nor flammable vegetation in NZ???
He'll be sorely disappointed. He really needs an FMF Gnarly Desert or Woods pipe or equivalent...

KdxChode

Jun 18, 2001
Many people have modified their factory pipe. It is dual layer so it's much quieter than an aftermarket one. You can cut it opened, remove all the inner crap, and weld it back together. It's supposed to give good power gain like a new FMF pipe would but for zero cost.

oldturtle

Sep 11, 2005
I remember reading many years ago in some moto rag about this stock pipe modification of removing liner. Makes pipe much lighter and improves flow. But because of all the work and the inability to fine tune by picking the exact pipe shape of choice (desert or trail) this mod is usually only done by someone needing a total sleeper in disguise.

John Harris

Apr 15, 2002
I am a total sleeper described above; you can tell by how I ride. The profile of the stock pipe is pretty similar to an FMF woods pipe. How good of a welder are you, because the smoothness of the welds inside the pipe does affect performance. I have a gutted pipe with stock silencer, it is not louder than stock. My riding buddy with an almost identical bike has an FMF woods pipe and silencer/spark arrester. The after market silencer is lighter not quieter. The FMF or other aftermarket pipe requires protection (at least in our rocks), but the stock pipe does not. For those that want to know, the FMF pipe does hit a little harder! Is it worth the money over a gutted stocker? Another of those personal choices! Enjoy the ride! John

19Brendan81

Mar 6, 2005
I did the stock pipe mod, Just as Harry described there is a heap of fibreglass and steel gauze in there that soaks power. The end result of the mod was a significant gain in power. I fully reccomend this mod to people considering it.

Top Bottom