stock suspension settings on 98' WR400

DRX

Oct 3, 2000
I'm wondering if anyone knows the stock suspension settings for a 98' WR400F. I'm mainly having trouble dialing in the forks. I wanted to use the stock settings for starting point. The forks seem very harsh in the rocks and I've pinched two front tubes in the last three times I've ridden. I've tried low and high tire pressure and am running Moose heavy duty tubes. I heard foam inserts would be good but will give the bike an even harsher ride.

DRX

shockdoc

May 3, 2001
Assuming you are right for stocks springs & if the oils & bushings are fairly fresh start with these specs:

Rear rider sag 95-105mm with approx 1 inch free sag
Front forks raised 8-10mm above top clamps
Fork oil height-- 95-105mm
Fork comp. 10-12 clicks out
Fork Reb. 10 clicks out
Shock comp. 12 clicks out
Shock Reb. 9-12 clicks out

Start here and dial in from there. Its usually hard for most people to utillize a completly stock suspension without a few minor changes. Hope this helps a little

doc

DRX

Oct 3, 2000
Shockdoc,

Thanks for the help. I'm going to go riding tomorrow and try to do some adjusting and see what I come up with. My forks are flush with the top of the clamps right now. What does raising them up do?

DRX

Jeremy Wilkey

Owner, MX-Tech
Jan 28, 2000
DRX,
That will haelp yor bike steer tighter. The most important thing you can do is use a good tuning guide..

Shock Doc is not bad for starters however the part about free sag seems a little hooky... Don't set free sag only rider sag.. Free sag is a indicator not something you set...

Jer

shockdoc

May 3, 2001
Jer
What I meant was if the spring is right for his weight then these 2 figures should be pretty close. Actually, I always set the free sag first then if the rider sag doesn't come within specs will advise a spring change.

doc

Jeremy Wilkey

Owner, MX-Tech
Jan 28, 2000
Doc,
That makes sence. I just get really cautious about free sag as most think it is something to set.. So say a rider say runs 90mm of sag instead of the "right". I like your idea thought.. Never thought of it that way..

Jer

Top Bottom