stock valving('99 CR250) for off-road?

SlowMo'e

Jul 3, 2003
Hello all. I'm somewhat new here-- I registered some time ago but I believe this is my first post. Thanks in advance for any advice.
From what I have read, MX bikes come stock suspended for riders around 170 lb. Would that same stock suspension work well for a heavier rider(around 200lb) in the woods? I plan on entering some hare-scrambles next season. I'm not currently in a position to do any testing or I would attempt to answer this question myself. I have done mostly recreational MX riding on the bike up to now, and have not done much fiddling with the clickers.
Again, any recommendations are greatly appreciated.

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
I would say the 250 comes setup for more like 185lbs-a 125 is setup for around the 160-170lb.When i rode a 99 cr125 it was definatly setup soft but ive not rode 250, i would say run it and see, if not then next ride you know it needs work.The other option is to drop a load of money into it, and it maybe good std?

SlowMo'e

Jul 3, 2003
Hmm... a common sense approach. Interesting ;) . Really though, thanks for the input.
I apologize for the naive question. I guess my excuse is that I am currently stuck in Iraq, and since I can't ride I think about it a lot. I am due to go home on leave soon and was hoping to take some kind of action toward preparing for next season when I will be home for good.

darringer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 2, 2001
I currently have the same bike, and have found that the forks were a little soft for me, (165#), for riding mx. However, when riding single track and some woods, I felt more of the square edge chop than I liked. I went UP to .43kg springs and like the way it feels. The front end is more planted and actually feels more plush. The rear suspension seems to be okay for my weight, but might be too soft for you. I find the rear works better with the rear rim all the way back at the end of the adjusters. Although this makes the suspension even softer due to increased leverage. Be safe.

JTT

~SPONSOR~
Aug 25, 2000
I also had a 99 CR250. I found that the heavier .43 springs were better for me for MXing too (I'm 190 or so). For woods riding, you may get away with preloading them a little and be fine. I've often found the lighter springs with preload work better for woods stuff, although not always.

I'd try it first before worrying too much about it. I think you'll find valving to be a good area to look for significant improvements though...just to add fuel to your thoughts ;)

Come home safe :cool:

Top Bottom