sfc crash

Human Blowtorch
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 26, 2001
i betcha' all knew this already, but i had to vent.i just rode a moto-x track first time in my life last tues. once again the ole'wr 426 was correcting alot of my flaws, but after riding the track the third time and picking up a little more speed each time, i was clearing the doubles. ok .. i try to clear the tripple, got squirly and burned in after clipping the outside of the last jump, came in and landed on the upper part of the front wheel, rolled forward and stuck the left handle bar in hard. i got up, all my pieces were intack, but the clutch lever was twisted and bent and the left side of the handle bars had alot more sweep back than the right. oh well, got a set of tags and it's all good now. jeez i can't believe how much fun it is to still scare myself:confused:

dbd

Apr 11, 2001
Just like butter , I changed mine after my second ride thanks to my buddy Mike . I ended up installing them on my old 86 CR125 ,I feel that they won't last very long but there better then whats was on the bike at the time .

dbd

JasonJ

Jun 15, 2001
Using good bark busters helps the bars and saves the levers too :) . I also leave the pedistools loose enough that they can be moved with a few good shots from a closed fist, so if there is to much pressure on them hopfully they will spin and not bend or break.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Putting a strip of teflon tape under the clutch and brake perch will go a long way towards extending the life of the levers and to an extent the bars.

sfc crash

Human Blowtorch
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 26, 2001
hey rich,puting teflon under the levers, i can see how that'd allow the levers to absorb shock but.:scream: i got it, they absorb the shock ,thus less on the bars, got it. bing! have you heard anything on the quality of tags? with my(lack of) riding ability i'll need something strong.btw, jason, my damn moose bark busters don't fit these bars either. now i'd hate to go to a bigger demension bar, but who knows,after dirt week i'll probably need more new bars's.;)

yz250-effer

Nov 4, 2000
If you hit hard enough . . .

pro tapers might fare better than any. Anyhow, I just toasted a pair of renthals when I over jumped a rhythm section last sunday. Luckily, that is the only damage. I just order a set of tag 5's from hi-per sports. They are supposedly 1 mm. thicker in the center section than renthals, and 4 bucks cheaper, so what the heck?

If you auger it in hard enough some teflon tape might save steel bars, but it won't make or break the bank on renthals, IMO. They are pretty strong, and flexible. Pro tapers seem even stronger. I bent the frame and forks on a bike once ( long story ) and cart wheeled the bike, of course, and later sold the pro tapers on e-bay ( they were still 100% straight). Basically, if you run steel bars, bring an extra bar to the track to be on the safe side. They bend fairly easy. Especially if they came on a stock bike!:D

mechantloup

Feb 5, 2001
Bars.......

I been bending bars for the last 20 years (i'm 33) until i bough Mr.520... those Pro taper style bar sure are strong !! No bar bending in 6 months despite a few bad crashes ...add some handguards and you're good for life.
The teflon trick is good to save levers but of no use if you install barkbusters....

wayneo426

Sponsoring Member
Dec 30, 2000
Sandbar, NY
Cheesy bars

These stock bars are the equivalent of a chunk of cheese lying in the desert sun for hours...
Im hearing the Jimmy Button highs are the way to go, but still havent decided what to get-
Is the Tag bend "high"??

sfc crash

Human Blowtorch
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 26, 2001
the tags i have seem to be pretty close to the srock bar bend. maybe i'm too new to this to notice something neg about bar height and bend, but it feels good to me, the tag bars are thicker than stock,that was very apparent when looking at em.they cost me 69.95$ at the local shop. i'm thinking about puting cut garden hose inside the moose bark buster clamps so they'll fit. i would grind'em down, but i gotta believe i'll be getting more sets of bars, and i'll probably get thick dia' next time.

Top Bottom