ericz103

Aug 18, 2006
Hey everybody, I'm new around here, kind of visited the forums lightly for a little while now. I'm bored as hell so thought I would go ahead and post.

Anywho, I along with many other people on this board(I imagine) have been a victim of dirtbike thievery. This seems to be a very widespread and universal problem amongst our sport, which is sad to say.

I think it is such a common occurrence because A. its an exspensive sport, especially with new dang 4-strokes :nener: , B. Not much is there to stop a person from stealing a dirtbike.

Since we can't really do much about A, why don't we focus on B.
I think that a national database of stolen dirtibkes would be helpfull. Sure it wouldn't prevent thievery completly or even by a large percentage but it could only help. Think about it a simple database with vin #'s and whatnot of stolen motorcycles, that would be checked everytime one is brought in for service somewhere. Even better yet have them checked when signing up for memberships at tracks and places to ride. This would severly limit the places stolen dirtbikes are allowed to go without being caught, and is rather simple. I guess that is all I have to my suggestion. Let me know what you guys think. And if it is a good idea, a plan of action to make it a reality would be even better.

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
Good idea, but near impossible execution. Many tracks don't even have internet access, and very few are going to take the time to verify the VIN on every bike that enters the facility. Now, the shops could check the database, but I don't expect that anybody that knowingly possesses a stolen ride is going to drop it off at a dealer for work. The upside to your idea is that people considering the purchase of a bike could run the numbers before (or shortly after) buying.

slickpuss

Sponsoring Member
Jan 19, 2002
I know in California with our LAME red/green sticker laws, the sticker is basically a license plate for the bike. At most of the state run facilities they check run the sticker to see if its actually registered. I have a few friends that have gotten their bikes back from stuff like this.

Also a goon that buys a stolen bike is probable likely to be a guy that drives it around a field or street, here also if a cop sees you he is going to stop you and run the numbers.

Thats about the only positives I have seen for the sticker program.

ericz103

Aug 18, 2006
To check at every track at every practice would be hard. But if your siging up up for like a year long membership somewhere it wouldn't take long.Plus if they just did on random days, every once in awhile it would not take that much time. I doubt most people would object or even be annoyed by it, cause its something that should be done. I guess track out in Cali are a lot busier then in Indiana, but around with our crowds or lack there of, it think it is completly possible.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
ericz103 said:
it think it is completly possible.

You are seriously underestimating the amount of work that would be required.

ericz103

Aug 18, 2006
I like your style when foxforks ruled. That is a tiny database though. I just wonder a good way to get the word out. Hey, internet forums are a good start.

And on another note, you are right I have no idea how much work it could take. But I know it can be done, considering theres other types of databases like that. And it is probably worth the time. I just can't understand why there is no enthuisasim for this or why it hasn't been done already. I don't know.
Nothing will probably ever be done... so maybe I'll just shut up.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Thats how things do Not get done,I know,procrastinating!I do not know how much it costs to get on a better data base,DRN does!Any dirt related question you can search for,comes up a few drn suggestions,nice!Reference stolen dirtbikes and I get domain names and reno!(and the drn!)I have lost a good chuck of change due to thieves,dumping more after it is difficult,financially!Legal documentation stops me from recovering one of mine,good luck tracking previous owners of a 10 year old dirtbike!!!Now it looks like I will need a lawyer and bucket of money!

Top Bottom